Visitor Chime / Pressure Mat Chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm desparate to find something to use at our new store location. We moved from a quiet street to a very busy :D but noisy one. We have our door open all day and I'd like to have a chime so we know when someone comes in as we often have our backs to the door using machinery etc which is also noisy.

A very cheap unit called Door Chime that used AA batteries only worked when it wanted to. We couldn't set the range, so it went off when we moved around 3-4 metres away from the entrance or it never went off.

Next I bought a Homealert HU4 (Friedland) as it said on the packaging that it's a PIR alarm but also functions as a door bell. Looks like I bought an accessory item by mistake. After opening the packaging and reading the instruction manual, I seem to need a remote HU3 as well....which my local B&Qs don't seem to have (all three of them). I also don't see how to set the range to be short (just the entrance area), not just the angle. So that's going to have to be returned. Maybe wireless isn't an option.

Before I make any more mistakes, does anyone have a recommendation? I thought a pressure mat chime would be perfect. Saw them in the US on a visit, but can't seem to find one here.

Cheers for any advice!

Sponsored Links
doubtfull you will find one ready made

all you need is a doorrbell and pressure mat, the mat must be on a hard surface and covered by a carpet (mat)

found one for you clicky

Could a burglar alarm be made to chime on a PIR zone rather than a magnetic contact?

but he wants it for entry only. a pir etc will be looking everywhere, drive people up the wall, a pm will work only when someone comes in or goes out.

another option is a set of A.I.R. beams

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
doubtfull you will find one ready made

I found two!

Strange I didn't see this last time I looked on Ebay, but I think I was centering on the words door chime rather than security mat or pressure mat alarm as they were giving me the disability equipment sites which were very expensive.

This should do the job as it has the chime mode.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALARM-DOOR-EN...yZ139959QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

But on this site the price is only £2.75 :?: :eek:

http://www.bodyguardsecurity.co.uk/product/door-mat-alarm.php?code=BGDMA&category=7&search=

Is it the same product? What a difference, or maybe the Ebayer is buying his from them.

Thanks Breezer & Crafty for responding, much appreciated. :D

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You could set the door contacts & PIR's on the security system to chime.

And add a pressure mat if need be.

securespark said:

wont work

OP said
LewB said:
We have our door open all day

not all panels will accept a mat, besides why add something to an alarm that may give trouble later, also alarm may be installed / maintained by an other company

Could you get a beam connected to you alarm, either just across the door or the whole front of shop.
These are reliable and would add more protection.
May be pricey, depends how much you want to spend.

breezer said:
securespark said:

wont work

OP said
LewB said:
We have our door open all day

not all panels will accept a mat, besides why add something to an alarm that may give trouble later, also alarm may be installed / maintained by an other company

And PIR's, I wrote....

An existing PIR in the shop can be set to chime without any extra wiring...

yes but that is still a waste, since most pirs are wide angle, which means as you walk in the vicinity of it it will chime.

as for the beams, nah, you dont want them, you want

Image4s.jpg
these :LOL:

You lot sound quite complicated, the only problem with the unit on ebay it activates for 20secs.

All you need is a mains operated PIR you can reduce the time down to about 2 or 3 seconds this can be mounted right above the door pointing downwards or low level pointing across, you cannect this to any mains operated bell .

As for its wide angle in these posistions all you need is to block part of the PIR where you dont want it to pick you up with Black PVC tape electrical tape i should say.

This system works fine in many types of shops

al-yeti said:
This system works fine in many types of shops

It would do if

they had a mains Pir and mains sounder

most shops have it only on the front door as part of the existing alarm, which is this case is of no use.

Just thought I'd check back in. Yes, we have a PIR, but it's attached to the security screen entry point about 10ft into the shop, not at the front door.

However, the mat alarm unit from:
http://www.bodyguardsecurity.co.uk/product/door-mat-alarm.php?code=BGDMA&category=7&search= which only cost £2.75 vs on Ebay arrived and it works great!

I wasn't able to get the coir mat at the door up to put it under (also worrying it was too heavy), but bought an inexpensive non-skid B&Q job and put just beyond the coir one, then slid the mat under it. Plugged it into the 9v battery powered unit and wah-la, it's really simply and very loud. The chime goes twice after stepping on the mat. I had to wrap the unit in a bit of bubble wrap and put it quite a distance from the entrance so not to startle people as it's very loud, but I can hear it downstairs which is a plus.

Just wanted to share the good result to my problem. Thanks all for erm...chiming in :p :rolleyes:

Seriously, the help was really appreciated.

:cool: LewB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back