vw polo battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have not used my polo for over a year and the battery is dead, i have tried jump leads but still nothing. my next step is to change the battery, however on looking at the battery i have discovered that there is a small box ontop of the battery holding various wires (possibly the electrics for lights, radio etc) I would be grateful if someone could give me an idiots guide on how to change this battery. the vehicle is vw polo 1.4 cl 1998. my other problem is i have tried to move the car by pushing it, however the brakes have stuck (though i did leave the hand brake off throughout the year), can anyone confirm if the brakes could become damaged. you help and advise in this matter would be great.

Sponsored Links
Undo the earth (-) cable first, then the positive (+). Take the battery clamp off and lift it out.
As for the brakes, you'll probably find it'll move ok once you get it running and drive it. More than likely the front brakes have slightly rusted which is why you cant move it easilly

Sponsored Links
I would think after being parked up for a year the brakes will be very rusty and the pads will not clean off the rust.

max5445 said:
what about the little box attached on top of the box that holds wires.

I changed a battery on a Polo last year and if i remember the box was held on with 2 X 10mm nuts, either way if you have a look around it then just undo any nuts you see it will then lift off. Cant honestly remember if it was actually attached to the positive post or not :confused:

Hello max5445, it means you have to clean up the discs and drums with emery cloth until they are free of rust.
regards johnwr

Sponsored Links
Back