Wall Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could anyone help. My home has a single story extension. The walls which connect the extension to the main part of the house keep cracking. I have dug the cracks out several times and refilled, but after 3/4 months the crack reappears. Any ideas on why this would happen??

Sponsored Links
where abouts do the cracks appear :eyes is it where the walls meet or in the extension wall itself :)

its possibly because the new wall hasnt been tied in properly to your existing building,can you see :eyes if it is tied in anywhere :D

Sponsored Links
Sorry maybe this would help as well. This extension was built about 15 years ago so the walls are not 'new' as such. It was also done by a builder I persoanlly know and who has a very good reputation. He said it was a settlement crack that was not repaired but just papered over. This seemed plausable but everytime I fix it the crack comes back.

what i mean by tied in: where the new wall joins the existing wall does the brick actually go in to the wall every other course..

I can't tell. The connection on the outside was skimmed over.

best thing to do then is grind the mortar out where its cracked using a small hand grinder 4 1/2" stone disc, then re-point it. what you have probably been doing is just going over the top of it...:eyes

Thanks for all your help, but just one other thing. What compund would you suggest using to refill after its been dug out.

Once again thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back