Wall mounting a Plasma or LCD TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I think this might be a common DIY job since there is a trend towards high definition TV and the associated Flat screen panels.

I am trying to mount my Samsung 40" LCD TV above a disused fireplace.
I have bought a wall bracket that includes 6 x M8 75mm long screws and wall plugs of diameter 10 mm overall. The LCD TV weighs 24KG.
I drilled the holes to 10mm diameter and spaced them evenly after marking everything up, only to find that the material of the wall seems to vary. As such I have brick in one hole (with red dust to prove it), plasterboard and mortar in another, cement in one, and one with plaster and cement but only to about 40mm deep then a gap.

Clearly due to the incosistency of the wall I am more than worried about mounting the bracket there let alone the TV. What makes things worse is that the holes are of different diameters due to the density varying and I suppose my poor drilling technique. I have tried filling the gap with some No More Nails, but it hadn't dried and the wall plugs starting turning when I tried to screw the bolts in.

If you've got to this point thank you - Basically I need some advice on how to proceed, after tapping the wall the sound is kind of hollow, and I'm not sure what brick or wall material is normally used for chimney breasts/fireplaces and if this is suiteable for mounting the bracket and tv. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
I sometimes find that if you are fixing into old chalky brick a 10mm drill bit will produce a 12mm hole. To over come this I carve a little piece of wood (a bit of old 2X1 or something) and bang it into the hole. You can then fix using wood screws as if screwing straight into wood.

Sponsored Links
Used to be in the business of fixing projectors (similar load but ceiling-mounted) and the best approach was to use a ply or MDF spreader-board. If this spans two joists or uprights then you have a strong fixing.

For a wallmount, if the spreader cannot span two uprights then one good line of direct fixings in the centre plus plasterboard fixings round the edge should be acceptable, I would think. But not ideal.

Use heavy gauge Pozi screws, and pilot-drill for them so you don't split the joist.

If done carefully this approach causes a lot less damage to the wall/ceiling than plasterboard fixings, on taking it down you just have a few small holes to fill.

Oh, and don't forget to scan for cables with a detector, as you will be using long screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back