wall preperation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , moved into house ripped off some 1970's wood effect panels off kitchen walls to find just painted brick , plasterer has requested me to apply some sort of primer before he can dot & dab board on top , what do i use to prep the walls .many thanks

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't really need to prep walls for dot n dab really. If it was bare unpainted brick then the only thing I do is to dampen the bricks down first before applying the adhesive.

Regards

Fred

i did think about using pva glue then reading through some of preivious posts that its only used for absorbent materials.

Sponsored Links
there is a chance that the walls may have been glossed. if so, use a strong pva mix, only dilute to say 50/50. apply the mud whilst the pva is still tacky.

Tell the plasterer to do the whole job or get rid of him - he doesn't know what he's doing.

thanks for replys , i was a little suprised with what he wants , i dont mind helping anyone so longs as decent job is done and price is right , had a few quotes this one i choose on recomendation and price but like you say his job, cheers ,dave

Ahh, Wickes Plaster Bonding Agent. Made by Knauf.

Same as Thistle Bond It. Contains silicone aggregate and sets like rock providing an excellent key on shiny surfaces.

Regards

Fred

thats the one , never heard of it till now , thought pva was the stuff on the market , plasterer doing fantastic job , well pleased ! . dave

As a general rule of thumb, PVA is the stuff to use, However, there are some surfaces that are too smooth and not porous enough to provide a key for the finishing coat so the skim just slides about everywhere and makes a horrible mess. In addition, it doesn't bond too well when dry and is quite likely to come off in nice big sheets.

That's where the Bond It comes in. Spread it on. Leave overnight. Bingo. Lovely rough surface to plaster.

regards

Fred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back