wallpapering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have stripped the existing wall paper (vinyl) from my walls and in the majority of areas the backing paper is sound.

In some areas, the backing paper has come off with the wall paper in patches, but the patches that are left are ok - obviously there is a smal ridge where the backing paper has been left.

I don't want to remove the backing paper in the sound areas because i am worried about flaky plaster underneith.

I am intending to recover with a medium weight vinyl wall paper, will I be ok going straight over the existing backing paper, even in the patchy sections?

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi dan, Myself I would always take this backing off. Though it appears sound when dry the backing bubbles up when paper is applied over, and if there are any areas where paste on old backing is poor then that area will not go back. actually I find the backing is the easiest to remove normally.
Have you tried soaking with hot water and sugar soap/ washing up liquid ? I find if you leave it to soak for ten minutes or so then perhaps another soak and wait till you can see its really wet all over then it usually just peels off without scrapin in one whole sheet. some folks seem to try to get it off dry and damage the plaster. I'm lazy and let the water soak it off. :LOL:
On the other hand If old paper was a heavy Vinyl put on with a heavy duty ready mix paste then I might be tempted to paper over this type of backing.
Good luck.
John.

Oooooh as above...NEVER leave a backing paper on...EVER.

When vinyl came out that was part of the selling point of it...it left the lines ready for papering.

One small problem though....it didnt work!...and the backing paper bubbles and blisters...leaving you with the mother of all decorating problems and a massive whole in your budget because youl have to buy a whole new load of paper and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back