wallpapering trade secrets wanted!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any 'insider tips'or wierd discoveries to make my wallpapering job go smoothly?!!

Sponsored Links
Aint as simple as that. You will need to explain the state all your surfaces are in. i.e. small bumps or small cracks or flaking paint or papering over emulsion, if so, what type or papering over oil based paint or any water marks or any whitewash or fire damage or any nicotine on surface or has the surfaces been washed with flash ! or has the kids used felt tip pens on surfaces etc......................................

Wallpaper is just so 80's. My tip is forget the awful stuff and use paint.

joe-90 said:
Wallpaper is just so 80's. My tip is forget the awful stuff and use paint.

I agree with you (see I can), but paint on the wallpaper :LOL: :LOL: (joking but made me smile& still am so I had to post)

Sponsored Links
Wallpaper is coming back I can tell you, as soon as Britain goes smoke free in all public places it will be back in high demand.

preperation, preperation, time, skill, sharp blades, time, skill etc etc etc!

Use the right stuff, dont improvise...dont use the kitchen table to paste the paper on, dont use a little cheap brush, do use decen scissors...not pound shop specials...hsarp blades are a must.

Plan ahead...work out where your drops are going to start and finish

Dont work to late in the day

Do work away from the source of natural light if you can

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE LABEL thats what they are there for..

Mix the paste as per the manufacturers instructions using less water...you can always thin it out a bit after

Cut three bits at a time..match em up on the paste table

Make sure you have the right quipment to stand on

Always use a sponge to wipe the access paste away after

You can use a medium pile roller sleeve instead of a papering brush if you like

Keep the paste table clean as you go

use a sharp pencil when you mark the parer prior to cutting it but dont make the lines to thick

Anymore for anymore?

as zampa says read the label,,,Re soaking time..
Dont 'push' the paper on let the paper fall to the line (we hope you made) then just gently brush on the paper. If the paste and wall is right the paper should slide. if you find your pushing it hard to the line and sweating this means your stretching the paper and youll get open joints when it dries..
apart from that it's easy... :LOL: :LOL:

good luck..

everything the others have said plus
make sure the batch numbers are the same on all the rolls.
papering is a very very clean job so make sure all the painting has been done first and clean everything as you go.
only mix as much paste as you need. It will prob take you several days to do your room and paste will go off/skin
If using the roller to paste, roll away and off the table not back into it. That way no excess paste will get under the edge

good luck :)

D.S.D said:
everything the others have said plus
make sure the batch numbers are the same on all the rolls.
papering is a very very clean job so make sure all the painting has been done first and clean everything as you go.
only mix as much paste as you need. It will prob take you several days to do your room and paste will go off/skin
If using the roller to paste, roll away and off the table not back into it. That way no excess paste will get under the edge

good luck :)

Good ones there...

Check the wall out that you are papering...make sure it isnt too porous ..if it is it will need a coat of size
(thinned out paste will do)

When you fold the paper on the table fold from the end to the centre and dont leave a gap incase you fold it and end up with a strip of wet paste on the face of the paper

Allow 2 inches at the top and bottom of each length for wastage

Stand back and look at the room, look at the pattern, plan where to start, and try and not end up with a 2" peice in the corner, that is a nightmare.

Also, every 2-3 hung lengths of finish paper, get a damp cloth or sponge and wipe down the paper to get the past marks off, keep your paste table clean, specially the edges, and also clean your scissors and paperhanging brush often, and dont let the paste get in among the brushes's bristles.
Wipe, coving, ceiling and skirtings after you hung your length to get the paste off and not leave a mark.

Cant believe you found some more tips Zampa :LOL: :LOL:

Right how about..........

Wash your hands thoroughly, you will be surprised how dirt can transfer to wet paper and never come off

If you have never papered before get some samples from a shop and paste them. work with the samples and see how they react to the paste. Some papers tear very easily and will be a mare to hang. Remember price of the paper is no guarantee that they will not tear easily. Some of the most expensive papers have been the worst for this.

A heavy patern paper will not match up around the room so end it in the corner above the door you come into the room through.

Do not store the paper for any length of time in direct sunlight, ie the window sill while its rolled up and you are prepping the room. It will bleach and you will notice it when its hung.

I think that covers it ....................go on Zampa keep it going :LOL: :LOL: ;)

lol...Struggling now..

1) Make sure you save all the labels from the rools, there could still be a shading problem even if the batch numbers are all the same and if you go back to the shop you wont have a leg to stand on.

2)..If you do mix the paste too thin DONT try and add more to it...it will turn into apple doughnut filling..mix some extra thick stuff and stir it in to te thin stuff.

3)..Try and get the timing right..if the paper has a long soaking time (10 mins)paste one, then wait about 7 minutes..paste the next one..hang the first..paste another..hang the send and so on, that will save you a lot of time.

4)...Check the pattern to see if its STRAIGHT OR DROP MATCH..if its a straight match then all pieces will be the same on the table...if its a drop match the 1-3-5-7-9 will be the same...the 2,4,6,8, will be the same.

5)...Get someone in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back