Want to be a Plumber??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello this my first time so nice to be here and hope I can contribute as well as take from this forum!
I wanted (want) to be a plumber. A few years ago I approached tonnes of local plumbers asking for work paid or un-paid. To my amazement they did not take me up on it, until one guy did for 2-3 months. He one day dropped me like a stone when he asked if I would ever consider setting up my own company!
To cut a long story short, if you want to be a plumber start plumbing (after reading a lot and a few practical experiments). I started numerous "experiments" on my own home to see if I could pull my own heating system (gravity fed) apart!! Last year I did a mates 4 bed house from top to bottom, 4 toilets, 1 on-suite, full CH off a Baxi Combi. He saved a fortune and it runs like a dream. His only expense was the Corgi guy who extremely reluctantly and extremely expensive came to commission it!
Many of the older plumbers are "salt of the earth" guys and told me free tips in the merchants, but the younger fellas seem just to in it for the money and don't even say a word. I work quite cheap because I don't have gas certification and don't intend going down that track.
If you are young and want to plumb because of the money, you might not be very happy as you really have to be interested in the whole thing! Besides it won't be many years before the UK will be brimming with new fully trained self-employed plumbers, bringing prices right down.
Glad to have my say and hope I am not removed because I might have said something wrong??

Sponsored Links
Why is he a nutter? Lots of people start off like that. Ever asked a builder for a qualification?
You can plumb in a bathroom using Wickes leaflets, or B&Q leaflets.....

Sponsored Links
I'd say the amount of regulation is minimal. It shouldn't and wouldn't make a jot of difference to anyone who wants to be a plumber. Lots of fuss over very little.:rolleyes:

To cut a long story short, if you want to be a plumber start plumbing ... Like the young plumber from Dee ,who took his girl to the Sea, "Oh plumber stop plumbing, there`s somebody coming"....".Tha`s right, said plumber, It`s me" :LOL: :LOL:

Nige F said:
To cut a long story short, if you want to be a plumber start plumbing ... Like the young plumber from Dee ,who took his girl to the Sea, "Oh plumber stop plumbing, there`s somebody coming"....".Tha`s right, said plumber, It`s me" :LOL: :LOL:
:D

Good to see a cheery response! ;)
There are some militant plumbing forums out there, many slagging off anyone's work but their own.....
Anyway, who'd want to be a plumber???

Question: Is there a special applicator for peeing in a cold water tank as I tend to bang my head on the roof truss :eek:

Do what I do, use a bucket in the back of the van. There's nothing like removing a toilet to work on it to make the sense of urgency a lot worse, a friendly bucket in the back of the van is sometimes a Godsend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back