Wardrobe doors sliding gear.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make some built-in wardrobes and would appreciate any advice on sliding door gear if anyone has any experience. I've looked at what Henderson produce and there is a choice of rollers at bottom and aluminium track fixed to floor as in 1st pic or top hung rollers and door suspended as in 2nd pic
Cello.gif
DoubleTopIllustration.gif

The widest wardrobe will be 3m with 4 doors and I haven't decided whether to make the doors or buy them. The top hung track is a heavier duty one and takes a door weight of 45kg and the bottom roller type takes a door weight of 25kg. A typical internal door is more like 10kg so either will be ok.
In two of the rooms the track will be parallel with the ceiling joists so there will be more work in fixing the timber support if I used the top hung type, but that's all I can think of.
Does anyone have an opinion on good or bad points of either types of track?

Sponsored Links
I've used both types, bottom rollers with MDF doors & the H/D ones for a wardrobe with a pair of salvages hardwood doors 7'x3' each.

The small guides on the top hung ones can mark the doors over time and the doors wobble a bit more.

With the bottom roller type it is best to fix a threshold strip along the bottom of the opening which can be packed up level if your floor runs out, it also gives you something to run the carpet upto.

Remember you will also need suitable flush handles a protruding knobs will get knocked off.

Jason

1st picture : I'm not keen on this one but having said that I like the idea of the door weight transfer onto the floor instead of from the ceiling. The floor track will have to be parallel with the ceiling joists, which is not easy plus the wheels picking up dirt & dusts causing jamming movement but the door don't wobble as the 2nd picture.
2nd picture : I normally fit these type but with a spindle rotating type on the bottom of the door into the open track runner flush with the floorboard. You can get away if the floor level is slightly out of level. These type don't wobble the door.

Some good points there Jason, so thanks. Rotating spindle on bottom of door to stop wobble and door marking sounds good, so any link where to get them from Masona? Henderson doesn't use them and I got a catalogue from Woodfit but they sell Henderson gear. I've tried google but I can only find places who build to suit.

Sponsored Links
Haven't got the details with me at the moment, will look when I get home tonight.

I think it was this company that supply it to my customer and they bought the doors seperate. I'm a bit disappointed they are hard to find now, the same as you cannot buy a bi-fold door with runner track any more :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back