warm radiators throughout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - My boiler is a gloworm spacesaver 22-30
the problem- the oldest radiators are lukewarm so it takes ages for the house to warm up.
The boiler was serviced 6 months ago.
All radiators were bled a month ago.
I have 6 radiators - 2 of which get quite hot (they also look much newer) but the rest - the top of the rads are quite warm (definitely not hot).
The bottom of the rads are just warm.

Is there anything i can do to make the radiators hot? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
had a look and cant see any lumps painted a different colour. but underneath the boiler there is a big grey thing with words 'HYSON compact' with lots of numbers in a chart and really small writing. is this the speed pump?

i turned it a couple of times and the boiler made a couple of noises. the rads dont seem hotter though...should i undo it completely?

Kevplumb is being enigmatic?

Look on the back plastic bit of the pump for a lever/switch/knob with 1 2 3, which is speed control. Try higher speed if available. Your pump might not have speeds, maybe a pressed steel lever on the end, that's the end where the twp pipes join. If you can't see a lever or can't move it, never mind.

Check your boiler thermostat - dial with 1 to 6 or 9 or similar. Two thirds of full should be OK; what is it set to?

Go to your best-heating rads, and try turning them down. Half a turn open will be enough for them to get hot. The idea is to stop them taking too much flow, so the others get more.

Longer term, the solutions are likely to be a "power flush" of the system, and a new pump.

hi thank you for the detailed explanation. the speed was set to 3.
i cant see a thermostat on the boiler with numbers. there is a dial with max min and off. it've turned it so its two thirds up.

I've changed one of the rads but the other doesnt have anything to change the flow. i have no pliers.

So will try to get one soon.

thank you very much for your advice.
Is a power flush when the rads are jetwashed?

no probs
we try to help as i belive josef locke once said
"if i can help somebody as i travel along my living will not be in vain "
sad but true :D

cheers chrisr.

guess what happened, got a gas leak so the whole things been turned off. just my luck. this house is full of problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back