washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tap in my bathroom was leaking so I got a plumber out to change the washer as I did not know how to do it. The leak stopped but now no water is coming out of the tap, the water is back on but im wondering if something is wrong with the washer and can I try to fix it myself as I don't really want this plumber taking me for a ride. Please help!

Sponsored Links
How much time has passed since the plumber changed the washer?

If it was a 'recent' repair, then you may find that he warrants his work and will come back for nothing - just ask him.

Have a look under the sink at the supply pipe. You might find that there is a service valve that either has a little red or blue lever on it (like a washing machine tap) or a small screw-head that you turn so the slot is in line with the pipe flow (not across it).

If there is such a valve, then it is provided to cut off the water pressure while you repair or fit the tap, maybe the plumber forgot to turn it back on after he'd finished.

Seems a bit iffy if you mean he took your money and left the house with the tap not working. might be an innocent mistake of course.

A service valve looks like this, I hope you have one.
p1078207_l.jpg

or may have a lever like this
p1719456_l.jpg

If it used to work and has now stopped it might be the knob is not winding the spindle up, e.g. the horsehoe/hairpin shaped clip has come off.

Can you lay your hands on a digital camera and post a pic here?

nicolan said:
...the water is back on...
JohnD said:
...maybe the plumber forgot to turn it back on after he'd finished.
It would seem not. You might be right in thinking that the plumber turned off both mains and a service valve, but how would he have tested his work with the water off?

JohnD said:
Seems a bit iffy if you mean he took your money and left the house with the tap not working. might be an innocent mistake of course.
Sorry to jump down your throat here JohnD, but I'm getting fed up with seeing assumptions about the tradesmen referenced by forum members. You're not the only one who does it here, but you did once make a similarly negative observation about a BCO whom you'd never met.

A great many plumbers pride themselves on a reputation, therefore warrant their work and are horrified if it goes wrong at all, let alone soon afterwards. We have no idea (yet) how long it's been since the washer was replaced.

I spoke to a plumber yesterday, who'd just had a customer tell him that the Pegler basin tap he'd fitted "has never been right". He looked up the job in his records - how long since he's fitted the tap? Three f***ing years, that's how long. There are more rogue customers than rogue plumbers.

JohnD said:
If it used to work and has now stopped it might be the knob is not winding the spindle up, e.g. the horsehoe/hairpin shaped clip has come off.
Good point.

JohnD said:
Can you lay your hands on a digital camera and post a pic here?
S*d the pictures - let's have some facts. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
No offence meant. I got the impression from the OP that it happened at once, and was thinking what might cause a tap not to work if I'd repaired it myself. I didn't mean it was likely that a proper plumber would make that sort of mistake, not everyone is a proper plumber but everyone makes a silly mistake occasionally. I certainly do ;)

Horseshoe washer :idea: There`s them as know and them as don`t and them as never will ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Wow what a helpful bunch you are!!....ok I guess I need to give some facts. The plumber came and changed the washer last Tuesday and the cold water tap stopped working on the following Friday, it was working perfectly when he did it and advised me not to force it when turning the taps off as it may happen again soon. The tap itself will not screw tight at all now it just keeps turning round and round....but not a drip of water.
I find it very hard when you don't know a plumber in the area, not so long ago I had a problem with my boiler and I called a guy from the yellow pages, he came to my house 3 times and a few months later the same thing happened. I ended up getting British Gas out and now I am a bit worried about my lack of knowledge and who I can trust. Typical women waffling on! The plumber didn't give me a invoice or anything...only his card...do I still have a leg to stand on?

You might be able to fix it yourself.

- do you know how to turn off the water supply to your home (and/or the affected tap)?

- have you got an adjustable spanner and a pair of pliers? (of not you canm get some for less than the cost of a plumber's call)

Please describe the tap.

I have a feeling you might be in the habit of turning off your taps very forcefully. One of my relations used to do that, he was convinced that if he didn't they'd drip. The result was that all the washers got squashed... and did drip, and did need to be replaced often.

I do mine up as forcefully as I screw the cap on a toothpaste tube, and they last indefinitely.

nicolan said:
Wow what a helpful bunch you are!!.....do I still have a leg to stand on?
Only if you`re not like the ex.Mrs. Mc Cartney :eek: .......Apologies to JohnD.......I got so bored with the rambling post replies I didn`t read that he`d suggested the horseshoe washer already :oops: :LOL: I just loose my toothpaste caps ....along with my marbles and other artefacts ;)

Sounds to me like the handle is just turning on the spline.

If you have a plastic knob, remove the cover plate in the middle with a knife and undo the screw under.

Pull the knob off and buy another that matches, replace screw and plate.

If the plumber asked you not to be forceful, I'm willing to bet that it was because he'd cut a worn seat back as far as the tap would allow. When this is done, the jumper can disengage from the screw down part (I lack the terminology here, as you can tell).

Even a new washer won't stop this happening - the solution is a new tap.

The only other option, which is one that I personally hate, is one of the "repair" kits that includes a nylon seat that you press into place.

They work, but I hate them (a) because they restrict the flow and (b) because it's such a Heath Robinson solution and (c) they don't work with all taps, but you don't know if it will without buying one.

Johnd- I do know how to turn the water off and it is a mixer tap...I do have a spanner and could probably get the tap off myself.

Nige F - I do infact have both legs...just running the risk of serious burns with my cold tap not working.

Softus said:
The only other option, which is one that I personally hate, is one of the "repair" kits that includes a nylon seat that you press into place.

They work, but I hate them (a) because they restrict the flow and (b) because it's such a Heath Robinson solution and (c) they don't work with all taps, but you don't know if it will without buying one.

I've seen "tap revivers" are they any good?

JohnD said:
I've seen "tap revivers" are they any good?
Sure - they're fine if the seat is still OK, but they're simply a replacement valve body (aka headwork) and a handle (aka knob).

It's a case of "a stitch in time saves nine" - if you leave a tap dripping then you're wearing a channel in the seat that can never be repaired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back