Washine Machine trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Hotpoint Washine machine is just about 3 years old. Just recently I have found that the condioner that I put into the tray doesnt wash away after the program has finished. I have checked the sprinkler bit that flushes the conditioner, and this seems to be working ok. :rolleyes:
I am sure the inlet water valves are working ok too, both hot and cold. When I take the tray out to see how the sprinkler bit works, I am confused because there doesnt seem to be a sprikler directly over the conditioner department, but just in front of it where you would put the prewash powder / liquid. Does anyone know why this is, and how a washine machine actually works. IE how is the conditionaer actually flushed through into the machine

thanks

Sponsored Links
there are atually two cold water valves one for filling and the other is for conditioner. (but only one blue hose to the m/c)

If you set the m/c to rince and have the draw open slightly at the right time you will see water coming in.

You should also check that the conditioner tray is not blocked. it works by overfilling then the drawyer syphons out the contents, often you will find that either the drawyer is in the wrong position or the "cap" is blocked, pull off the cap and see is it or the tube it covers blocked

I examined a hotpoint washer about five years ago with a similar problem but it was the powder that remained in the tray.
In additon to the 'hot' and 'cold' solinoid operated valves I seem to recall two more solinoid operated valves, one to flush the powder into the washer and the other for the conditioner,both controlled by the programmer.
I believe these valves also had filters which could be blocked but in my case one of these valves had a faulty solinoid and the valve had to be replaced.
I'm fairly sure my own hotpoint works in the same way,except the flush of water starts a syphoning action in respect of the conditioner.
If too much conditioner is placed in the tray it starts syphoning straight away, which is how I found out about the syphoning, after a couple of reports of 'my conditioner has dissappeared'.
Why not try overfilling it with water instead of conditioner and see what happens, you may be able to work out how it syphons out.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanx for the help you guys
So, should i try and put cold water in the conditionaer tray when the machine is off. Would this be ok to do, or perhaps I could try hot water to try and clear a blockage if there is one.
What do you think?
I have looked at the "cap" there doesnt seem to be a blockage, but ot sure if im looking in the right place. Also do you know where the valves that sypons the condiner is located

Ta again!!

Sponsored Links
Information:

A hotpoint m/c has 3 valves, one on the hot water inlet, two on the cold.

The hot water valve is there to take in the soap powder and is always on no matter which prog you select to start with.

The first cold water valve comes on all the time too at start fill to assist with filling. If however 60 degree or above is selected only the hot water valve opens.

At the rinse cycle only the main cold water valve opens.

When the conditioner is required only the second cold water valve opens, filling (and sometimes over filling) the conditioner tray. Then the conditioner tray syphons out taking the conditioner with it.

If you want to see what it in action, remove the soap drawer (pull it as far as it goes, then slightly lift it it then comes upwards)

Tip the m/c back slightly (if you dont water will come out where the drawer was) then select each prog in turn and watch.

a word of warning do not turn the programmer to change progs while it is on, turn the m/c off THEN turn the programmer knob, then turn m/c back on.

If you dont you will DESTROY the programmer TRUST ME!

you only need to do this to see that you do indeed get 3 differnt flows of water, do not do this with any washing in , as you only want to see do the vavles work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back