Washing machine shifting around on wood laminate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently replaced my old kitchen lino with wood laminate flooring panels (the cheaper MDF veneered kind). Unfortunately our washing machine has been somewhat liberated by the lack of friction the new floor offers and regularly manages to creep several inches out of it's recess during the spin.

Has anyone come across this problem ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
When I do laminated flooring for kitchen I never go under the washing machine, only about 50mm under from the front and the rest with plywood to the same thickness of the flooring. I find it stop the vibration and the weight of the washing machine also stop the tent reaction of the floor, then a put a small beading across to the wheel of the washing machine. In your case you could glue a thin strip of timber onto the laminated to stop it rolling out but not too high thickness timber because the washing machine need to slide over it for maintenance.

Consider putting down a rubber type mat, like a car mat, maybe join a couple together. Or maybe an off-cut of carpet from your local carpet shop and shape so that it sits neatly underneath the machine

If that doesn't work, draw a pencil line around the base of the machine pull machine out, hammer/chisel and cut back to the sub-floor underneath the machine and lay a decent thickness of chipboard and replace machine

Thanks for the repies guys. I'll have a go with the easier solutions first and if they fail, pull up some of the flooring & replace with plywood.

Sponsored Links
The reason why I myself would consider CHIP over PLY is that PLY tends to have a more polished finish

Exterior plywood is waterproof and chipboard I'm afraid isn't !

Daddy said:
Hi,

I recently replaced my old kitchen lino with wood laminate flooring panels (the cheaper MDF veneered kind). Unfortunately our washing machine has been somewhat liberated by the lack of friction the new floor offers and regularly manages to creep several inches out of it's recess during the spin.

Has anyone come across this problem ?

Cheers.

Try reajusting the feet on you're washing machine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back