Washing machines/ dishwashers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't it about time we had some sort of regulation to make the valves and hoses on these things visible and accessible. Just come from a house where the woman didn't realise she had a leak until her dining room carpets were getting wet. Most people are in this situation and won't realise they have a problem until their floor turns mushy or a kitchen unit disintegrates. I suppose most people are conditioned to having these items tucked away out of sight. It doesn't have to be that way and ultimately it will be benficial to them. On another note, the bloke who invents a device for getting washing machines out of their tight boxed in spaces will make a fortune.

Sponsored Links
That bloke exists! and so does his invention! However it has to be put in before the washing machine goes into its hole!!

well, when i used to work for HP we had a wobble board.
you put it at the front of the mc, lift and slide it out.

the wobble board was really just a piece of plastic sheet, it goes even better with a quick spray and polish with mr sheen (other furniture polishes are available)

another trick for moving such items is a squirt of wahing up liquid on the floor. do not try this on a carpet

Tonights jobby had about 10mm clearance above machine and it was dug into lino. Took me longer to get the thing out and back in than it did to do the job.
Crafty...you're not talking about the rollers as sold at Argos are you?
I actually think manufacturers could do more. They know the things have to be level so why don't they come up with a levelling device that can be operated from the front. Front connecting hoses would be a good idea also. As ever practicality is sacrificed for aesthetics.

Sponsored Links
thinking......

something like a long shaft with a hex head at the front, with a worm drive and screw down feet at the end.. rollers fitted for ease of movement..

just slide it in, open the front panel, and "jack" the legs down like a caravan..

total height 20mm..... ?

I took breezer's tip and slid in two strips of Perspex, the machine's feet slid on it quite easily.

ColJack is on the right lines. Go get a patent man.

would "scissor jack" legs be better?

guess i'll find my mechano out tomorrow and have a go... or maybe my lego technic..

i'm taking the circular saw to the work top next time. Let the insurance sort it out.

once went to fix a m/c, new house owner said previous owners left it for them as a present, soon became aparent why, cupboards were built across at an angle infront of m/c there was no way it was coming out.

i left them to it

solo said:
On another note, the bloke who invents a device for getting washing machines out of their tight boxed in spaces will make a fortune.

Mr Dyson has one fitted to his washing machines as standard, Purple handle underneath the front. Pull this handle out and the machine rolls effortlessly forward and backwards.

ColJack said:
thinking......

something like a long shaft with a hex head at the front, with a worm drive and screw down feet at the end.. rollers fitted for ease of movement..

just slide it in, open the front panel, and "jack" the legs down like a caravan..

total height 20mm..... ?

that already exists on a cooker i fitted a few years back. the name of the model/manufacturer escapes me now.....not a popular make though.

it was good but needed to be slightly thicker metal in some parts as it was a heavy old range style thing. slid in and out nicely though.

Also on my American Fridge Freezer - some hex heads at front to wind castors in and out.

Didn't know about them for a few months after getting it though so moving it was a bit tricky at first - only when a mate saw me struggling to move it before new kitchen fitted did he suggest it might have wheels built in!!

Sponsored Links
Back