Water company/board responsibilities?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my internal main stop-cock handle has snapped off and I need to turn off the tap in the road. But, the last time the water company looked for it they couldn't find it anywhere, and left. That was a couple of years ago.
Does the water company have a responsibility to find this tap or to provide another? I need to have the main supply to the house stopped while I replace the existing internal stop-cock. Alternatively, if all else fails, do those freezing gadgets work on mains pressure? Are they obtainable from DIY stores?
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks a lot - Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi The onderground pipework outside of your property boundary ie garden wall/fence is the property of the water supplier. The main street stop cock is there responsibility. Call them again and make sure they sort it out. DO NOT USE A DIY FREEZE KIT ON MAINS WATER PIPE
Cheers

You say the external stop tap can not be found, can you see any of your neighbours?.
Is it possible you have communal stop tap,(issolates more than one prop).
What sort of propery do you have, detached,semi terraced?.

Ours is a detached bungalow, situated off a major A road and about 20m from each of our neighbours.
If the answer is to 'go to town' on the water company, then that's no problem, but before I start on them, I'd like to be absolutely sure of my ground - do they have an obligation to find the external stop-cock? Can I say that if they can't find their stop-cock, then they should pay for our internal one to be repaired?
Look forward to your replies, thanks for your comments to date - Chris

Sponsored Links
Dont think you can force them to find what belongs to them though I could be wrong.
Has the footpath been resurficed?.
Could you prod around your garden with a fork (garden type). Better still use a metal detector. I say laughing like we all have one.

Freeze kits work fine for cold mains pressure, done it many times including lead main in a pipe box and having to solder on a copper tail, many years before we weren't allowed to make type of connection.

They used to be obliged to fit a stop tap to each supply at the boundary but not any more. Some water companies are not fitting them on any supplies that they renew, which is a bit of a backward step when it comes to leak detection. :confused:

The Water Co cannot be forced to locate the outside stopcock for the simple reason that it is their property and is not intended for domestic use .

It depends on the Water Co as to whether they will locate it voluntarily - they will usually only do so in an emergency.

See here for Ofwat guidance on outside stopcocks

or here for CCW info on outside stopcocks.

keego said:
Some water companies are not fitting them on any supplies that they renew,

If we're thinking of the same Co' keego - they are now ;)

They won't trace/locate or excavate buried MST's though...

BoxBasher said:
If we're thinking of the same Co' keego - they are now ;)

They won't trace/locate or excavate buried MST's though...

And a ray of common sense shone down on the company. :rolleyes:

Tell your water company you would like a meter fitted and see how fast they find your stop valve!

Pete

In north London Thames were filling the holes with concrete because it's a bit of a nuisance when people expect the taps to work. So they obviously considered they don't have any obligations.
Whether they've changed their view I don't know.
I have also known them say they'll put your request on their list, but in practise always be too busy to get round to it.

clf-gas said:
Before you get me on this boxbassher, i meant common supply :oops: :LOL: :LOL:

No worries ;) same goes for CSP's, won't excavate to locate - still Water Co property and not for domestic use
Our guys can freeze/squeeze, hell they even work live sometimes. Nothing wrong with a small hole in your garden/yard to cut out and piece in a new tap of your own.

Fluffster said:
Tell your water company you would like a meter fitted and see how fast they find your stop valve!
A man in the know ;) - unless they site it inside and freeze to fit :cry: ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back