Water Does Not Turn Off !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I had an odd problem... I want to replace the taps of my sink in my bathroom upstairs and so the first thing I did was locate my main water supply ( under the sink ) and I turned it off. However the cold water tap stopped running in the kitchen sink but the hot water tap was still running. And upstairs in my bathroom. both taps were running.

Could there be another main water supply I need to turn off? Please help with any ideas.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have this problem on my current house

the stop cock under the sink only does the kitchen sink

the other feed is in the airing cupboard ( behind the tank in my case) and goes into the roof space. where there are more stopcocks including one for the cold water to the remaining taps, this like you means that the hot and cold still run until it is turned off.

i suggest you look in the roof space and see shat you have, also the hot water tank is likely to have a cold feed turn off near it - turn this off, find the LOWEST hot water tap and turn it on until it stops .

when filling if you leave the highest tap on a little until the water flows, and then turn it off , you should get away with out any air blocks.

remember to turn on the cold feeds to the hot water tank
remember to turn off the hot water when doing the work in case yo empty the tank too much

gazza2 said:
Have this problem on my current house

the stop cock under the sink only does the kitchen sink

the other feed is in the airing cupboard ( behind the tank in my case) and goes into the roof space. where there are more stopcocks including one for the cold water to the remaining taps, this like you means that the hot and cold still run until it is turned off.

i suggest you look in the roof space and see shat you have, also the hot water tank is likely to have a cold feed turn off near it - turn this off, find the LOWEST hot water tap and turn it on until it stops .

when filling if you leave the highest tap on a little until the water flows, and then turn it off , you should get away with out any air blocks.

remember to turn on the cold feeds to the hot water tank
remember to turn off the hot water when doing the work in case yo empty the tank too much

Thanks Gazza... I think this just might be the key. There is a water tank up there in the loft with pipes and with stopcocks . I'll give it a shot....

Thanks again.

I suggest you look at a simple guide to plumbing before you start!

Sponsored Links
You could always stick a carrot in the hole in the big tank in the loft to stop it draining................................................................................

orange thing. youve probably got a similiar item growing out your head.

WAHHHHEEEEEY! The boys are moving in for the KILL! (nice of you to remember me wilHELMET ).... :evil: :evil:

he certainly has........
0406_Blackadder.jpg

You are correct in your observations, & you are obviously very astute & indeed, witty fellows. There will be no need for a payment on your behalf for my services... spread the word... I.. Have arrived... & I`m not going home...

BAHCO, BARCODE,Whatever, an enemy who joined the minions that lined up to destroy me.... ( this is drama this...). Go back , go back to the fields of ignorance from where you came.....& on your way...... have you got a three port valve..????? What happened to WILHELMET?..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back