Water power flush for central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have been advised by my central heating service company/insurance that I need to power-flush the system, as it is kettling and the hot water is running hot then cold then hot.

I have managed to stop the kettling noise by draining the system once and refilling. I have also adding a central heating cleaner to the system.

I am now planning a more thorough cleaning of the system, but was hoping to do this manually as I have been quoted £550 for a power-flush. I am also planning to replace the radiator valves at the same time, as these are old and some are jammed.

Could someone sanity-check the following process ...

1. Drain the system
2. Remove the existing valves, remove the radiators from the wall manually clean them (i.e. flush water through them individually) until the water runs clear
3. Replace the valves and the radiators
4. Fill and drain the system until the water runs clear

Also
1. Are there any filters on the boiler that I should clean? Its a Chaffoteaux and Maury Britony 80.
2. I have read somewhere that it is possible to manually descale the primary and secondary heat exchangers. Could someone point me in the direction of any instructions/pointers as to how to do this?

Many thanks for any answers, and also for all the interesting posts on this forum.

Sponsored Links
Most of this stuff has been asked and answered recently on this forum, so you really ought to do a search on some of your key words (e.g. power flushing, Britony combi, etc.). Look for threads with a lot of replies - there the ones where a bit of a debate got going which always teases out more info.

If there's anything you genuinely can't find an answer to, by all means post again with those answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back