Water seal for brickwork - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After yesterdays downpour it became apparant that 4-5 inches of water sits at the front of our house, which means the top of the water is only about 2-3 inches below the DPC. This is less at the back of the house as the previouos owners put a patio down meaning the DPC is only about 2 inches above this.

I'm not keen on all this water 'resting' against the brickwork and wondered if it would be a good idea to treat the lower section of the house with Thompsons water seal? Is this stuff any good - would you recommend it?

Sponsored Links
The waterseal will stop water both getting in and out! Just make sure your external ground level is 6" or so below DPC level, this splash zone is there for flash storms etc.

why would I need water to get out - surely I just want to stop it getting in?

The external ground level has been raised becuase of the addition of the patio, now meaning the DPC is only 2-3 inches above it.

The front of the house is at the bottom of a downward facing slope and so whilst the DPC is 6" above ground level, when it rains hard like yesterday the water stays there for a long time prompting me to think sealing the bricks would be a good idea.

Maybe think about removing the water faster, add a drain at the low point where the water gathers.

Sponsored Links
Dig out a channel approximately minimum 150mm wide x 150mm deep then use decorative stones or pea shingles to drained the water away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back