Water Softener Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to install a water softener under the kitchen sink. Our house has 22mm pipe work and is a pressurised water system. A couple of questions please.

1) The softener requires an overflow, usually through the outside wall. Is it acceptable to fit the overflow into the normal waster outlet (through a u-bend) as long as it goes downhill?

2) Would it be better to use 22mm copper pipe to keep the pressure drop to a minimum or will quick fit connectors and plastic pipe do?

3) Is there any problem with connecting the softener draini to a normal connector used for a washing machine? It would be easier to cut into the existing drain using one of those self cutting things.

4) Can anyone recommend a good make of softener?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Yes. The plumbing in is much like a washing machine, and no more difficult. However the point of an overflow is that it is visible, so that you become aware that there is a problem, and do something about it. in the event of an overflow, the water will be saturated with salt. this is very corrosive and will leave a crystalline stain on woodwork or concrete. It is very damaging to building materials.

2) The softener will come with plastic connection hoses, similar to washing machine hoses (but white, for drinking water). The bore of these may be quite small. If you are worried about flow constriction, see if you can get large-bore hoses from the supplier. This might cost £25 extra. If the other water pipes are 22mm then try to use large pipes to avoid constriction.

3) Washing machine methods are OK. But I'm not keen on self-cutting methods.

4) Have a look at prices from a local supplier who provides servicing. If you buy one cheap from a DIY shed you will probably have to throw it away if it goes wrong, so if you buy a cheap one, try to get a good guarantee. I've found mine go for about 10 years between repairs, but I bought an expensive brand (Permutit, but these have since been taken over and are said to be no longer as good).

p.s. under the kitchen sink may be awkward. You will have to tip in 25kg of salt pellets every month or so. Any spillage of salt, including salt dust, will make steel rust away quickly and will damage other materials.

Thanks for the info and it makes sense about the overflow being visible. I would prefer under the sink as that is where the rising main is (22mm). The models I have seen will all fit and have access at the front to load the salt.

I have seen the Permutit ones in B&Q costing £480 for a metered version. A high flow pipe kit costs extra. They seem reasonable and I think are owned by Culligan now.

Also there are the mid range ones from Crown, Monarch and Waterboss each claiming to be the highest flow or using least water/salt in regeneration. These start around £500 up to £800.

At the top end seems to be Kinetico which ranges in price from £900 to over £1000. Quoted as the Rolls Royce of softeners but I don't know why.

There seems to be a big difference in price but it's difficult to see why.

Any further advice most welcome.

Sponsored Links
just came across this post whilst installing another softener..... Google and the like say washing machine hoses are not suitable for potable water as they could contaminate it...... but we dont (and the recommendation is not to) drink soft water so why the fuss ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back