1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Softener - White 'Stuff' in brine tank

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by letmedoit, 3 Apr 2018.

1. letmedoit

letmedoit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have had water softeners for over 25 years (Norfolk has very hard water). Current model has worked fine for a long time but last year got some sort of contamination in the brine tank. This appeared as little white specs which got worse untill it blocked the gauze filter in the brine tube. The brine eventually looked like it had some dissolved tissue paper floating in it ? I removed the brine and salt and washed out the brine tank, refilling it with clean salt from a new bag.

The machine has worked correctly since until this week when it all happened again ! I have cleaned everything out, put in fresh salt from a new bag and all now seems fine. It never happened previously so what is this contamination and how do I prevent it happening again ?

Apart from using bags of Hydrosoft granular salt the only other thing put in the machine (last December) was some Water Softener Resin Restorer bought from Wrekin.

Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe try plumbing forum?

4. letmedoit

letmedoit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, I did check that forum but couldn't see anything about water softeners. Now I have done a more thorough search I can see that is where they have been posted before. I will re-post this in the plumbing section and hopefully get some answers there.

Mods. Please feel free to delete this thread to prevent duplication.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local