water thru' roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in heavy rain, some water comes thru' the waterproof felt at my pitched rood. does this need urgent repair, or can it wait until spring. and how to repair ?

the ridge were held in place with plaster. the plaster break off and damaged the underlaying felt. the ridge are still in place. I thing in heavy rain, the water is pressed upwards under the ridge . any suggestions?

thanks

[Edited by gwen on 21-12-2002 at 16:38 PM GMT]

Sponsored Links
I've been renovating my town house for a few years now, restructured the interior and built extensions, but this doesn't make me an expert, so the advice I'm giving is only based on my understanding of roofing systems.

The tiles of your roof are your first line of defence for water, they do not actually make your roof water tight, they do keep snow and ice out. The slaters felt and flashings, are the true water-proofing. So if your felt is damaged or if the flashings have become damaged or loose, this is the most likely cause of water penetration. When your roof was built the felt should have over lapped the ridge, so even if water was getting in via that route it would run down the felt and fall into the guttering.

If the water isn't causing a major problem inside your house, i.e., damaging the ceilings or walls etc... you could leave this for a short time. However, any water penetration into a house is a bad thing, so you should see to it ASAP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back