Waterproof before o/s Masonary Paint ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am shortly having Weathershield Masonary Paint applied to a non-cavity outside wall which gets a lot of weather in the winter. The wall is usually damp inside in the winter, not helped by it being wall-papered.
Is there anything that can be applied, either inside or out to reduce this.
This is a 100 year old cottage which I never expect to be bone dry but would like to improve before the paint job if possible.

Sponsored Links
I have sprayed my house with a breathable waterproofer as my brickwork has become porus. I doubt that it can be painted over though.

if it was my cottage id battern and use insulated foil backed plaster board on all the outside walls save alot on the heating bills and keep the damp out. my fathers old 100 year old cottage was 9 inch solid brick walls but on the prevailing wind side a reed cavity wall had been used which must date back as far as house they must have put it in for same reason stop damp and heat escaping

Sponsored Links
yottie said:
Am shortly having Weathershield Masonary Paint applied to a non-cavity outside wall which gets a lot of weather in the winter. The wall is usually damp inside in the winter, not helped by it being wall-papered.
Is there anything that can be applied, either inside or out to reduce this.
This is a 100 year old cottage which I never expect to be bone dry but would like to improve before the paint job if possible.

With non-cavity walls, damp on the inside of the wall can be condensation not penetration - especially in winter.

I agree with the post above - foam and foil backed plaster board will fix the damp AND save £'s on heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back