Waxing interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A DIY newbie here.

I have some lovely new pitch pine doors which I'm keen not to ruin. I have some clear wax to finish them off and I'm looking for tips on waxing.

I'm going to follow the directions on the tin, but if anyone who has done this before has any tips, I'm keen to hear them.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would pick either linseed or tung oil, give several THIN coats over a week or two, then use 1 part beeswax melted into about 4 or 5 parts of the oil. This will set into a firm paste. Then give a couple of coats of this wax. The wood will be protected, and you won't have to put up with the smell of solvent.

The tung oil must be pure tung oil, not something containing tung oil, and the linseed oil should be raw oil, and good quality stuff, not the cheap stuff at £5 a gallon.

There will be many other views about how to treat your doors, but the method above is used on these south facing exterior doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back