Weak Toilet flush.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I'm new to plumbing, and I decided to install my own back to wall toilet! Got a standard btw pan, a standard shires plastic cister (not btw, as I have enough space behind), hooked it up. Everything works fine, except the flush is a little weak! The flusher is one of the flapper things (I think thats what you call it), and I bottom of the cistern is about 4 inchs above the centre of the inlet hole on the pan. Is there anything I can do to increase the flush. Do I have to raise the cistern, is a syphon better. Any advise would be great.....

Sponsored Links
search forums, aparently flapper flush is like most of the "matter" that you flush

Yeah, I did that, but there seems to be conflicting views. The flapper just opens up, and lets all the water in from the bottom. But maybe a siphon would be better as it comes from a higher point. I'll may raise the cistern tonight as a test, problem is, I have to get another U bend now to extend this! Pain.

Is it a low level cistern with a plastic pipe linking the pan and cistern , or a close coupled where the cistern sits on the pan?

If the former you can raise the cistern (if you can get pipe)
If the latter, they are notorius for leaving ..... in the pan.
If a syphonic one can be fitted all well and good, but I think the pans may have to be modified at the factory for the syphonic valve to fit between the pan and cistern. :D

Sponsored Links
Its a low level cistern all right! And, like I said earlier, the pipe is quite shot, about 4 inches from bottom of cistern to centre of the in-pipe. I may just raise the cistern and try that, alternatively, I might fit the siphon from the old cistern and see if thats any better. Only problem with this is, I wont be able to use the push button for the btw cistern, I'll have to hook up a lever, messy! :( Can I get a siphon flusher with a push button, like the flappers? :?:

Is the cistern filling with water to the correct height (usually marked on the wall of the cistern) :?:

The commonly available flapper valves can be adjusted to give a larger or smaller volume flush. This is done by rotating the rubber flapper, there are usually a series of lines on the top of the rubber flapper (and there is a small hole in the side of the rubber flapper if you look very, very carefully)

Mmm, I must try that. There is a six litre line on the cistern, and I adjusted the inlet so there mus be about 7-7.5 in there now. I assume the flapper valve is the one that just pops up and lets the water flow down the hole?

I havnt got around to raising the cistern yet, loads of other stuff to do!

Sorry for the slow update on this, I raised the cistern about 2 inches and it works really well now, flapper and all! Thanks for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back