weatherproofing brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help ? I am about to begin lining and insulating a brick built shed to use as a workshop. I am OK with moisture barrier, batten, insulation and boarding but I have been told I should 'blackjack' the end of the shed where there is previous evidence of moisture . This end is open to the prevailing wind and so the rain drives at it (I live on the top of a hill). I understand that this should be done inside and out to help but the question is, what is 'blackjack'? Is there a manufacturer name, and where should I look ? Cant see it in the sheds (b&q, wickes etc). I want to be able to ask for the correct thing !

Sponsored Links
Sealocrete I think is the brand name could be incorrect they flog it in wickes. Basically it is liquid bitumen tar which you paint on to form a water proof barrier.
There are clear products on the market if you do not want to paint it black.
Make sure the brick is dry before applying and do the outside first to let any moisture out b4 coating the inside.
Pete

All you need is to fix polyphene as a vertical DPM (damp proof membrane) to the inside of the brick wall. Then that wil keep the damp out.

You don't want to be coating the external face with bitumen. If need be use a clear silicone water repelent like Thompsons - which lets the wall breathe

If need be use a clear silicone water repelent like Thompsons - which lets the wall breathe

They don't shout about it, but Thompson's Waterseal isn't actually a silicone, it's a much cheaper stearate product. The problem with stearates is that they break down in ultraviolet light, so they stop working after a couple of years if they get a lot of sun. If you do go down this route, look for a product that is silicone-based. I think Graingers do one.

Sponsored Links
Thats a great help, thanks very much. I propose starting when the sun comes out, hope for a bit of drying out first so I dont seal the moisture in. Sorry, should read IF the sun ever comes out ! Also advised to use 'building paper' as a moisture barrier (cheaper). Need to weigh it all up and I am sure I WILL be back with more questions. Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back