Wet Black soil around where lead water supply comes in +damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone, first post

Just trying to remedy a damp problem in my 1930's house.
Its a ground floor kitchen

Did have quarry tiles, concrete slab, sand , hardcoer & no DPM (all now removed to the soil

In the corner where the main water supply comes in (lead pipe) is very wet soil + wet walls which get drier as they spread to the other corners.

The damp walls go above the DPC, but this may have been because the slab was bridging it??

On the outside side of this wet corner is a drain which the K\sink Bath & B\sink D\washer + W\machine all drain to ( the pipes to these point to the drain rather than into & down it.

The drain is original & the drive has been added after, so the drain cover sits about 2-3" below the drive & the cements sides are smoothed at 45 degree angles down to the drain

There is a concrete drive that runs along the wall which is only one brick below DPC

There is also mould present in the corner affected.

There is also a hot water pipe that runs vertical along side the cold lead pipe to the bathroom

Get cracking guys!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

just to add:

The mould is where the kitchen sink + cupboard was fitted to

Black in the corners then lightensas it gets further fom the corner

Expands the depth of the cupboard + the length of it & also the height

MOD

please see item 10a

Sponsored Links
Black soil says leaking drain to me :cry: Renew the lead pipe anyway..MDPE plastic is cheap...use 20 mm.....Bet it`s under the concrete drive? :(

Nige F said:
Black soil says leaking drain to me :cry: Renew the lead pipe anyway..MDPE plastic is cheap...use 20 mm.....Bet it`s under the concrete drive? :(

I would say that the lead pipe is under the drive at a guess. The drain is under it, but I think that the drain will lead along the wall to the manhole about 8 foot away right behind the house.
You think I should chop the drive up around the drain to see whats down there?

I'd say the clay drain trap (or gully) has cracked or the joint has cracked (if the drain is not blocked).

you could extend the waste pipes to enter the trap/gully below the level of the cover (replace iron cover with plastic one with pre-formed holes). If this fails to dry the soil up, I would get digging and find the source of all the water.

Sponsored Links
I had the black wet soil, it was a leaking joint. Dug it out and renewed the gully, I don't think it leaks now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back