Wet DCB - should I carry on or wait til dry??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Woke up this morning and forgot to cover the DCBs that I have aleeady laid, with the rain they have taken up water (you can see the darker water patch for a good inch or so on top of the blocks).

Is it best to wait and lay only on to dry blocks or does it not really matter too much? I was told dry blocks work better as the water from the mortar gets drawn into the blocks and drys it quicker/binds it better?

thanks

C.
PS The DCB that I am ready to lay were covered and dry, its just the ones that are already been laid that have gotten a bit wet. cheers.

Sponsored Links
compo' will stick like bu****y to wet masonry. the drier the bricks/ blocks are the quicker the mortar will set. this is not good in terms of mortar. the longer it takes to set the better.

remember, cement loves water. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those. As it happend that day turned out real nice and the surface dried out in no time.

I always get worried with mortar as I check what I have laid the next day and tend to find it soft and crumbly ( :( ), the following day its pretty hard ( :) )but after that its gone rock solid ( :D )

Ta!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back