Wet electric light switch- shock or fire hazard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm hoping someone could advise me please - I've searched the forum but cannot seem to find out the answer.

About 30 seconds worth of water (under pressure) dripped down from the bathroom and over the electric light socket in the kitchen, when I went down it seems to be making a clicking noise, ( I think it was the switch clicking and not just water dripping).

I have switched off the electric supply to the lights but would like advise please on what to do next? Should I unscrew the plate and let the inners dry out, or leave it alone? Should I leave the electric off to the lights, if so for how long? If I did switch the electric back on but leave the light switch off is this safe?

I'm primarily worried about the possibility of an electric shock or fire, and don't know if this is likely. I was planning on going away tonight, would it be ok to leave the house?

Thank you for reading this and many thanks for any advice.

Amanda

Sponsored Links
Clean water is not usually a great problem provided (1) you turn the power off at once (2) wait until it has dried out, then examine and replace any parts (e.g. switches) which may have been sparking when wet.

In your case, I suggest leaving the light circuit off while you go away (that will give it time to dry out safely). You can turn it off at the consumer unit, either by setting the MCB "off" or removing a fuse. If the switch is wet then turning it "off" will not make it safe.

Meanwhile the noise you heard may have been arcing inside the switch, so pop out and buy a new light switch (only £1.50 or so) and make sure you have the two sizes of electrical screwdriver to hand (for the faceplate screws and the smaller brass terminal screws inside).

Fit the new switch tomorrow when all is dry.

If it is a two-way switch, examine carefully the layout of coloured wires to terminals in the old one, and replicate this in the new one. there might be two or more wires of the same colour - mark them so you know which is which. make a simple diagram. Terminals in light switches are most often marked "COM" "L1" and "L2"

Please make sure you are absolutely certain the power to that lighting circuit is off. Then, as you suggest, remove the plate switch and let it dry out. Allow it to do this "naturally" though, if there is water pooling in the back box (that the socket fixes in to) gently use a piece of kitchen towel to soak it up. Once it is completely dry (you can use a hairdyer providing it can blow air that is totally unheated) to help the process along, look at the back of the switch closely. If there is any sign of black "soot" type marks near the connections on the wires or on the switch itself, it will need replacing and, maybe, the wires trimmimg very slightly. Also, gently check that the wires have not been loosened in the switch. If none of the above, you should be OK to replace the switch and turn the power on again. If you hear any "clicking" from the switch or see any sign of sparking behind the plate when it is operated - it will need replacing.

Hello

Thank you very much JohnD and Didthathurt for your helpful replies.

As you suggested I've removed the face plate and will wait for it to dry out and then inspect it and replace it if necessary.

Thanks again

Amanda

Sponsored Links
As you said " I think it was the switch clicking and not just water dripping " I think the switch has been arcing, so I think you should splash out :LOL: on a new switch. It will be no more effort than refitting the old one, and little cost. Any hardware or DIY shop, or e.g. Wilkinsons, will sell you an MK or other good brand for little cost, and it will fit straight in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back