What are my options with the socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Thank-you for all the replies regarding my question about the socket in the shower circuit. Most of you will be pleased to hear I have abandoned this option.

The socket I want to install is next to the ceiling to supply tv and dvd player.

The cabling will need to run through the loft to keep it tidy.

I have the light circuits which supply all upstairs lighting and have a shower circuit.

Having ditched the idea from the shower circuit and which only leaves me with the light circuit which will not work.

My last attempt would be to spur off using a junction from the upstairs main ring and travel the cable up to the loft via a cupboard and run the cable accross the loft to the socket. This will be approx 7 meters, and the upstairs main ring has 4 double sockets on the circuit.

is this possible?

andy

Sponsored Links
upstairs ring main for 4 double sockets?? sounds like overkill.

But your idea is fine. This is the best way to do it.

Apparently, there is nothing in the regs to stop you fitting a standard socket on the lighting circuit. These appliances have fairly low power consumption, so it is possible to do this. As long as its not a plasma screen . . . these do use a lot of power. LCD or CRT screens should be fine.

But like I said, if it is possible to do as you suggest - take a spur from the ring main - do this. Much neater solution.

PLEASE stop starting new threads!!!!!

to add a new socket on the lights, take a feed from any lighting point on the circuit. see for reference for info on how lights are wired.

You might want to add an FCU along the line with a 3A fuse in it - for peace of mind.

Re-label the fuse / MCB as "upstairs lights and socket near ceiling 5/6A" or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back