What are the requirements to becoming an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Its a simple query.

After spending nearly 7 years in education and obtaining an OND and HND in electrical and a degree in electronics I am currently in a sw engineering job and I have to say hating every day (For the past four years I might add)!

I have my BS7671 Cert and have been doing on the side electrical jobs for about 10 years when I can just to keep my hand in. After recently rewiring the house I just moved into and realising there unfortunately are an abundance of less than qualified sparks operating, I have decided to go back to doing something I truly enjoyed doing, wondering why I ever left it in the first place.

As I am thinking of going back to electrical full time I could do with being up to date qualification wise, I have done a fair amount of research all ready but I just wanted the opinion of a few practicing sparks. I have read that to work on new build sites for instance you have to have C&G 2360 for example, does BS7671 not cover you for a multitude of sins?

Can anyone help.

Thanks for any info

Alan C.

Sponsored Links
Paddy

The usual form is to get 2360 (which is being replaced by 2330) first, with the AM2 assessment. Then two years experience on the job. You "could" get away with 2381 if you can convince someone to take you on.
Later you will need to take 2391, especially when Part P of the building regs comes in on January 1st 2005.

Sponsored Links
Thank guys really appreciate the info, so I take it BS7671 cert doesn't count for much anymore eh!

I had kinda guessed that 2630 was a requirement but I didn't know about the rest. Hands up all thoughs who really like the ammendments to the new regs :D

So your saying colourblind is an issue! Bugger! I suppose I'd better let my past customers know then hadn't I! lol

Thanks for all the info guys!

Al.

hello....l'm new here...are you up to date with the 16th edition regs?

paddyalan said:
..... going back to electrical full time ...
Alan C.

Failed bus ticket collectors usually do best in electrics, being poor Conductors n'all ! :eek: ;)

I didn't realise there were so many stand up guys in the electrical industry, cool.

I'll have a go myself shall I

What does a cow with no lips say?

Ooooooooo

Now I bet you smiled! As stupid as the joke is.

I was not to blame for that one, the drummer for the band I play in was! :D

Thanks for all the info guys, it has been a help, I've since booked my place on a C&G 2630 course!

Al.

Sponsored Links
Back