what base should i use for a gym in a shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving to a house without a garage,
I use my current garage as a gym.
I want to errect a shed in the back garden of the new house, should i go with slabs or a concreate base?
and would the shed need to go on beams?
or should i go for a metal shed?

Sponsored Links
why not do the same as your current shed? since it works

metal shed = summer oven

Use a solid concrete base, it will support the weight and movement of the machines much better. May be worth overlaying the floor with ply to increase the strength as well.

In my opinion concrete is too permanant and cold for a shed. I'd build a wooden floor if it were me. Warmer and friendlier. Better still is to build the gym as a summer house. If ever you sell - it adds value.

Sponsored Links
i was refering to the base not the floor. most sheds come with a floor and 2 x 2 battens underneath. The flooring is either osb on the cheaper sheds or t&g for the better ones. A concrete floor will give you a very stable base. overboarding the floor with ply willl help to strengthen it, especially if you are using it as a gym

cheers guys.
i dont have any machines it is all free weights,
so i want to make sure i dont crack or break anything with them.

I thought the shed would need to be raised from the based it is on?

it will. a concrete base then some treated 2 x 2 bearers will do the trick

where would i get treated 2 x 2 bearers?
i am looking for a shed size of 13 x 10ft

If its going to be 13x10, would it not be cheeper to use concrete blocks to build the shed? Also stronger, and if the total size of the building is less than half the size of the garden, and more than 5m from the house, and less than 4m high you dont need planning persision. (AFAIK)

Just a thought, thats what i'll be doing in the summer...

4m high maximum for a pitch roof and 3m high maximum for a flat roof ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back