What Cable from Switch to CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a meter moved soon and this will make the meter too far from the consumer unit for normal tails. So I am having a 100amp switch fitted to the electric meter and run a cable from that switch to the consumer unit.

I have already been told that the cable from the switch to the consumer unit should be armoured, but what size armoured cable do I use for this connection?

The distance between the switch and the consumr unit is about 8 - 10 metres cable length.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a switch fuse?

I can't see how having a switch would change the length of cabling you are aloowed to protect with the service fuse, although the type may possibly affect what you are allowed - SPEAK TO YOUR DNO!

and I guess you are probably looking at 25mm² armoured

the maximum length of the tails from the meter can be 2-3 metres I have been told, therefore I canot run the meter tails to the consumer unit which is 8-10 metres away, so I am putting a 100a switch in the meter box that the tails will connect to, then I am running a cable from the switch to my consumer unit, what i wanted to know was the size to run from switch to CU. I had a feeling though someone would say 25mm armoured.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
And what makes you think the DNO will change the amount of cable they allow the service fuse to protect just because you put a switch in the middle of it, no if you want to go beyond the 2-3 metres you'll have to protect the extra with your own fuse, which means a switch fuse and running a submain from it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back