What circuit do I have

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello first post so go easy please.

I want to add a few extra sockets to my 1st floor but when I remove the socket front from the original sockets there is only one set of wires there and not 2 as you would expect in a ring???? This is the same for all my upstairs sockets.

What sort of setup do I have please?

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
What size fuse is protecting this circuit??

Any idea on the cable size??

When you say 'every' socket, are you sure it is every socket, or just the few you looked in??

some old installations have all upstairs sockets spurred from the downstairs ring.

My house has conventional joists/floorboards upstairs, but solid ground floor, so all my downstairs sockets are spurs...

Sponsored Links
spurred from the upstairs sockets?

only problem with that is it makes it a little awkward adding sockets downstairs later.

plugwash said:
spurred from the upstairs sockets?
Some are from JBs

only problem with that is it makes it a little awkward adding sockets downstairs later.
Don't blame me - I didn't design it.

Nor am I soon to replace it with a 4mm² radial, as that would be notifiable work...

I only have 4/5 sockets upstairs and they are all like this. If they are all spars then is there anyway of putting another socket of it?

Thanks.

ban-all-sheds said:
Nor am I soon to replace it with a 4mm² radial, as that would be notifiable work...

Glad you said that, I was about to give you the part P lecture! :D :D :D

Con1

If theses are spurs you will have to change one to a fused spur and run additional sockets of that.

I should draw your attention to
Regulation 130-07-01
‘No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, which will have to carry any additional load is adequate for the altered circumstances and the earthing and bonding arrangements are also adequate’.

Thanks for the reply. So from my spur I can run another socket off it? Can you please explain how?

Thanks.

Not got over the idea of quoting buiding regulations instead of answers yet, I see.

You still havn't said what is running this yet. is power coming from a ring upstairs, or some not quite identified 30/32A fuse/breaker, or a lesser one. If it already starts out as a 16A radial, say, then you can extend it directly. If it is a spur off a 32A circuit, then you have to insert a fuse in the cable to limit the maximum current. Then you can extend further. The fuse must come before any sockets.

So you ned to start with a better idea of where this power is coming from first. But my guess would be you have a ring downstairs with spurs going upstairs from some of the downstairs sockets. Straight up the wall to the room above. Now, how many sockets do you need to add. Is it worth getting serious about this and rewiring upstairs? Do you have in mind lifting boards anyway to run extra cables to the new sockets, or where will you route them?

No you cannot 'run another socket off it,

You must first change that spur into a fused spur, checking that it is ONE outlet off a ring circuit. You may then daisy chain as many as you like as they will be limited by the spur fuse.

I cannot stress to strongly that BEFORE you make ANY alterations you adhere to Reg 130-07-01.
The Regulations were not written to make your life harder but to make your life exist beyond DIY.

So that would be a quick look in the cupboard under the stairs then?

A look in the cupboard may help you Dam but this guy/gal does not comprehend what is involved nor the consequences.

I assume you have a copy of the regs handy and have read them recently.

Is this something I could do with a fair amount of Electrical knowledge? I know to comply with building regulations you have to have a qualified spark doing the work but exactly what is required then I can make a decision on to pay a spark or do the work myself.

I meen if it is a case of isolating the supply then removing a socket cover then adding the new (correct) cable to the new socket then I think I could do it.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back