what do you guys think of screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
considering getting some lintles from them is it a good idea, heard bad things about delivery problems.

Sponsored Links
ive never used them but my mate must know the catalogue from front to back and he speaks highly of them, bad news travels quicker than good news. If your worried lintals are available at most builders yards and they deliver, and this is the best time of year to visit a builders yard, at christmas time most guys in the builders yard are fighting to help, maybe its the christmas spirit, ;)

if you asked me a year ago id have told you to avoid them like the plague as they were going through a relocation that was a nightmare and so was the couriers they use. They seem to have listened to the vast amount of feedback that they received and have really improved the service. Having said that you can get stuff just as cheap if you use the same builders merchants and haggle a bit.

cheers for the info i might them a go although there lintel selection is not great, just seems to good to be true that a 750mm steel lintel is only 14 quid, when they are 30 odd quid on the birtley site

Sponsored Links
I use Screwfix on a regular basis, and have bought electrical goods, hand tools, and fixings. Never had a problem with stock availability, and delivery within 24 hours - what else could you ask for (well free P&P would be nice !).

I have had many orders successfully delivered on time and complete. The only time an order was late was beceause noone was in to accept it so it went back to the depot for delivery the next day, so thats my own fault.

I have had nothing but good service and the postage is free if you spend over £35 I think it is, but check it out. Only problem I ever had over a year ago was 3 months or so after fitting some lv recessed ceiling lights I realised that the fittings were not quite right (no glass in them apart from the lamp, but had never fitted IP44s before so didn't pick it up as a problem when I installed them) and hence suspect IP44 rating. Phoned them up and discussed and whilst on the phone they dispatched a full set of replacements which arrived next day with paperwork for returning old ones post free. It was hassle to change them that I didn't need, but what a response.

I've always found them very good, and free next day delivery with orders over £45!

there are two sort of near me, one within walking distance (not god for getting a lintel though) and the other not far from where i work, great service all the time, but as has been said builders merchant for lintels

decided to go to local builders merchant in the end, even tho they were slightly more expensive they give more advice and easier to swap if needed. have used screw fix for other stuff, excellent delivery as they were here within 24hrs

i use them a lot just had a shower delivered sadly bit on it broke as i took it out of the box phoned them up and next day a second shower arrived, take what i need they told me and send rest back.
now that is customer service.

Have used screwfix a fair few times and I would rate them as hit and miss
its seems it more to do with the value of your order and time you placed
your order..they claim 6pm is the cut off time for next day delivery.I have found that it more like 2pm and a few times 12pm(online orders)Also some of there items you have to buy in bulk also some items come without fixings ,which means you still end going to your local b&q

id rather use Screfix than suffer the local builders yards round here... belt of a belt sander, Jewsons said, we havent got it we wil order it but it wil take ten days and we might not be able to get them anyway... Screwfix, arived next day. Its just simpler.

Placed a big order with them 6 months ago for loads of stuff for my kitchen extension...A couple of weeks ago got around to fitting the radiators...unpacked one and found it damaged

Rang up screwfix in trepedation at 3.30 pm expecting "all damaged good to be reported within 7 days blah blah blah"..none of that ...a new radiator appeared at 10.30am the following day and they took the faulty one back...can't fault them really ..you try that at homebase/B&Q etc

Have used them around 20 times in 2 years and not a single problem.
Only wish other companies B&Q / MFI etc etc could be as good.

Sponsored Links
Back