what do you reckon my chances are part II

2scoops0406

Here's the scenario. We have a managed AyDeeTee alarm system. Now every year they kindly send us an invoice for about £80. The first year I politely enquired as to what the bill was for. Maintenence was the reply, so old smarty pants says "well when you've done the maintenence, you can have the money" seemed fair to me, this is the usual way things are done n'est ce pas? Anyhow, it turns out that to the letter of the contract, no, you pay first then arrange to have the thing serviced! Sharp practice if you ask me.

Anyhow, paid up, had alarm serviced, didn't think too much more about it.

A fews years down the line, we were having an extension built, that meant removing some of the alarm sensors around etc. Of course this building work coincided with the annual service charge nonsense. Rang them up and they said no problem, just pay up like a good 'un and arrange a service when the works finished.

Now due to reasons that are far too boring to go into, we didn't really get into a state whereby we could arrange for the alarm to be reactivated, and of course I forgot about it. Now the time has come round again, when I've just received another annual service invoice.

Now, I'm not entirely sure about the legal status of this, but I'll be b*gg*r*d if I'm going to pay £80 for a service that was never carried out.

I've written to them, with the hopeful sweetner that I'll continue using their scandalous annual servicing method, on the condition that they drop last years bill, otherwise I'll very grudgingly pay up, and cancel the contract. So what do you reckon to my chances?

Sponsored Links
Jeez Eddie what on earth do they actually do for £80, I'm no spark/alarm fitter but what is there to do?

Is there monitoring costs as well on top?

Surely you don't have to pay if they didn't do anything.

its not ADT's fault that you do not use the alarm /unable to use the alarm.

You will also get (probably) another bill to re instate / move that which you had taken down.

put your self in their shoes.

They are a business, its not their fault you didnt call them to arange a service (at your conveinaince) , its not their fault you had some of the alarm removed.

I suggest you read the small print of the contract you have signed and if in doubt seek legal advice

breezer said:
its not ADT's fault that you do not use the alarm /unable to use the alarm.

Eddie M said:
Never said it was

You will also get (probably) another bill to re instate / move that which you had taken down.

Eddie M said:
Agreed, and happy to pay this

put your self in their shoes.

They are a business, its not their fault you didnt call them to arange a service (at your conveinaince) , its not their fault you had some of the alarm removed.

Eddie M said:
Agreed, but they also haven't done anything for their money in the year 2003 to 2004, that's my gripe.

I suggest you read the small print of the contract you have signed and if in doubt seek legal advice

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
Jeez Eddie what on earth do they actually do for £80, I'm no spark/alarm fitter but what is there to do?

Is there monitoring costs as well on top?

Surely you don't have to pay if they didn't do anything.

Offer you their excellent service, and support the alarm ;). No at the moment it's not monitored, normally is. Not telling anyone where I live either !!

does the £80 part cover the "maintenance" and the rest pay the wages/admin for the monitoring side or is there another payment for that?

kendor said:
does the £80 part cover the "maintenance" and the rest pay the wages/admin for the monitoring side or is there another payment for that?

The £80 is for maintenence, there is an additional charge for monitoring. Which by agreement, I don't currently pay, 'cos it can't be monitored. Hey ho, I guess we'll see what they say, a case of david and the goliath again!

Fatal mistake ... Parking that big expensive motor outside !!
They know you either rich or mad .. maybe both !! Therefore demand some of the action !! Did they succeed ? Seems like it !
cheaper to be burgled ... spend half the £80 on increased insurance !!

;)

pipme said:
Fatal mistake ... Parking that big expensive motor outside !!
They know you either rich or mad .. maybe both !! Therefore demand some of the action !! Did they succeed ? Seems like it !
cheaper to be burgled ... spend half the £80 on increased insurance !!

;)

I'd put it in the garage if it would fit, but its 2 inches too tall :( Suppose I could raise the clearance height, or.... as I'm having the drive done, perhaps it would be easier to lower the drive by 2 inches hmm... got me thinking now. Rich or Mad, with crude pushing towards $60 a barrel, I'll let you decide !!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho

It's off for some red I go!

Made ......confirmed ..... and set in stone !! ;)

Been to wild Westcountry yet ?

Red ? Wine and diesel buy the latter get the former free ;)

pipme said:
Made ......confirmed ..... and set in stone !! ;)

Been to wild Westcountry yet ?

Red ? Wine and diesel buy the latter get the former free ;)

Yep, came back from cornwall in early oct, decided to cut through on the A38, what a s0d of a road that is, if you don't know exactly where to get off, that's it Bristol City centre it is !!

Eddie M said:
I'd put it in the garage if it would fit, but its 2 inches too tall :( Suppose I could raise the clearance height, or.... as I'm having the drive done, perhaps it would be easier to lower the drive by 2 inches !
Can you not fit a smaller wheels or lower profile tyre ? :D

Eddie, do you mind me asking how much they charge for the monitoring?

masona said:
Eddie M said:
I'd put it in the garage if it would fit, but its 2 inches too tall :( Suppose I could raise the clearance height, or.... as I'm having the drive done, perhaps it would be easier to lower the drive by 2 inches !
Can you not fit a smaller wheels or lower profile tyre ? :D

Just drive past a couple of 'makeovers' that'll reduce the ride height ... a little bumpy 'tho !! ;) Failing that .. just horse her in as she stands .. she'll make space !!
P

Sponsored Links
Back