What does a new boiler & installation cost in London?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a problem with my combi boiler that it looks like British Gas will be able to fix on a new contract I've taken up. However the guy that looked at it for me informed me it was installed in 1987 and he recommended replacing it with a new boiler. The current problem is fixable, but he is right that a 1987 installation is old & future problems could be avoided now by replacing the boiler.

Well he gave me such a whopping price for installing a Vailliant 831 Ecoplus that I spat my cereal and have (for now) opted for the British Gas contract rate!

So before I tell you what he wanted for it, what do you guys (I know some of you are professional plumbers) charge for a replacement combi including the price of the boiler these days?

Sponsored Links
Fluffster said:
To undercut BG £4999 :D
Pete

Very funny.....if plumbers aren't careful, they'll price themselves out of work as obviously the higher an installation price becomes, the better a repair seems.

Polly
Quoting blind is difficult so an guesstimate £2500 for a staight swap including a powerflush.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Polly
Just read your other post if your boiler has been "re conditioned" why go to all the expense of replacing it? do you imagine a more complicated condensing boiler will not give you any problems in the future?
Just a thought, ps BG engineers first lesson is how to sell not fix.
Pete

Polly1 said:
Very funny.....if plumbers aren't careful, they'll price themselves out of work
Do you mean that people will stop using expensive plumbers and use cheap, er, I dunno, caterers instead?

...as obviously the higher an installation price becomes, the better a repair seems.
Come again?

Fluffster said:
Polly
Just read your other post if your boiler has been "re conditioned" why go to all the expense of replacing it? do you imagine a more complicated condensing boiler will not give you any problems in the future?
Just a thought, ps BG engineers first lesson is how to sell not fix.
Pete

Different, younger boiler that was re-conditioned. I have 6 of them, so I have to watch my costs.

Softus said:
Polly1 said:
Very funny.....if plumbers aren't careful, they'll price themselves out of work
Do you mean that people will stop using expensive plumbers and use cheap, er, I dunno, caterers instead?

...as obviously the higher an installation price becomes, the better a repair seems.
Come again?

I mean that compared to a new boiler, the £198 fix anything price from British Gas is pretty good. The higher the difference, the more chance that people like me would take the BG option. Also, if I want to save further, going onto a BG contract (which I've done in this case) can mean and instant repair with no initial outlay. Then £30 a month for the first year & if they've done work & I want to cancel the contract, £207 is the maximum they want for having done the job.

So all-in-all, BG looks pretty competetive compared to the installation prices I'm hearing.

A straight replacement of a combi boiler can be done in an 8 hour day, so I can't for the life of me, see how plumbers can want £1,000 + for their labour alone.

You guys do an important job, but maybe not as important as your prices might suggest!

I've learned a lot about plumbing over the years, motivated mainly by plumbers prices! It helps to fully understand the line between CORGI type work and basic plumbing & can save a small fortune.

No offence intended, just my observations.

Polly tell us how much made you choke on your cereal?
I love quoting after BG some how I never appear expensive.
Pete

8hrs to swap over a combi yes it is possible however loads of variables
Gas feed may need upsizing
Power flush alone takes at least 5 hours
Flue positioning and condensate waste trap

The list goes on not to mention any potential callbacks during the first year.
This type of operation usually takes 2 persons 2 days to complete to a benchmark standard so along with the chemicals for the flush and ancillary pipework and fitings, disposal of old boiler tax and liability insurance, corgi reistration and updates the end reward is not as high as you believe.

Pete

Polly1 said:
A straight replacement of a combi boiler can be done in an 8 hour day, so I can't for the life of me, see how plumbers can want £1,000 + for their labour alone.

I agree that your Polish unregistered plumber can change a boiler in 8 hours BUT have you considered how long it takes to do the job properly?

The system usually needs to be power flushed which takes about 4-5 hours if its done properly and the best chemicals cost about £35.

We would expect to take 2-3 days and then we give a full guarantee and come out free of any charge for a year or two if there were any problems.

For all that we would charge £840 plus the cost of the boiler. Lots more than your unregistered East Europeans, I agree, but then we are CORGI registered and do the job properly with a full guarantee. Quality costs money.

Tony

you will also find that the BG maintenence contract has two stop points...

old system has sediment in it... needs a power flush or we won't maintain it any more... that'll be £500

and

can't get the parts guv... too old... but I can get you a nice new boiler for only give grand.

Agree with Fluffster. In any walk of life no one is going to do a job for a what it costs. They will do it to cover their costs, pay an above average wage and make a profit for the company. If you'e unhappy with this simple rule of economics which has existed since the dawn of the industrial age (and no doubt is followed by you) then the only course of action is to purchase your own goods and install them yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back