what does this mean

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
vokera80e said:
Giz a clue then,or i won't get any sleep tonight bob. :rolleyes:

i am buying something fron the net its a uk site but they want paying by bank to bank account transfare what does this mean do they want a personnel chegue.

No it means that they want you to do an on-line payment from your bank account to theirs..

Do you believe they are a reputable company, and do you want them to know your bank sort code, account number, and name?

JohnD said:
Do you believe they are a reputable company, and do you want them to know your bank sort code, account number, and name?

sounds doggy to me i will see if they will take a postal order if not stuff em.

i do buy off the internet.But i only use visa as it as online fraud guarantee.What ever route you go down it's risky.But i buy from known trusted suppliers in anycase,if it's electrical you won't go far wrong with sites such as....ebuyer.com - dabs.com - amazon.com Etc...

its a safe transaction as they dont get to know your bank details all your doing is passing cyber cash from your bank to theres

no problem and safe

JohnD said:
You mean the information that is printed on every cheque you have ever written?

Hmmm - yes - I can see why you might want to keep secret information like that well guarded...

ban-all-sheds said:
JohnD said:
You mean the information that is printed on every cheque you have ever written?
thats true, now im intrigued . . . what's to stop someone setting up a direct debit from the info on a cheque? :eek: :confused:

crafty1289 said:
. . . what's to stop someone setting up a direct debit from the info on a cheque? :eek: :confused:

Nothing really, provided they're a Direct Debit company... they don't even have to have a bit of paper with a scrawl on it that they claim is your signature... hence the direct debit "guarantee" that if a direct debit is made that is incorrect, you can demand immediate repayment of it from your bank, no questions asked. However I hear that the banks are none too enthusiastic to do this and usually try to send you off to negotiate with the supplier, if you let them get away with it.

As I recall from setting up new Direct Debit systems using BACSTEL-IP last year for a well-known utility, you have to be sponsored by your bank to become a direct-debit originator, so not every shady back-street trader would be able to. The setup and testing is a bit expensive for a young hacker in his bedroom to do and you have some hoops to jump through with your own bank and with VOCA (formerly BACS).

p.s. I would understand if some suspect I'm telling fibs when I claim to have experience of all sorts of unrelated things... but it's true!

Sponsored Links
Back