What happend?

T

timmyquick

What is the likely cause of this?

CIMG0870.JPG

It is the plug to my dryer. The socket has a similar burn mark to it as well. I have noticed over the years that the plug has needed bagging in now and then ( well the girlfreind has ) for the dryer to work. I have just never bothered doing anything about it until i decided to have a look today.

edited to show image

Sponsored Links
poor connection most likely

Cut plug off and replace, replace socket.

Making sure connections are tight.

bad conenction->high resistance->volt drop->power dissipation-> birnt plastic

my guess is the pin partiall broke away from the plug first (perhaps a manufacturing defect) and the high resistance caused the burning

advice given is correct replace both plug and socket

Sponsored Links
Don't forget it does not necessarily have to be a bad connection in the plug top, but also the socket.

Studying the photo of your socket, I think I can see the problem. There's evidence that this has been used. I'd take it back under warranty, it's obviously second hand. :LOL:

On the manufacter moulded plug, are the wires connection screw in or soldering type ?

Looking at timmyquick's 2nd photo (socket) I'm guessing the socket was at fault and not the plug ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back