what is lockout exactly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been looking back through all the old posts to find out whats wrong with my potty puma 80 - and got thoroughly overloaded with info.

but i still have one simple question.
what exactly is lockout?

is it a designed state of the boiler workings, say to guard against some lethal eventuality.
or is it a term for a loop or sequence of fluid/events that prevent the boiler from doing what it should.

now i realise that the pedantic amongst you could equate one with the other - and I half expect to get a stupid answer to a stupid question. :rolleyes:
but i would really like to know what lockout really is.

Sponsored Links
i have a potty puma, i have come up with the following conclusion.

Boiler must have a "variety" of saftey devices
If any "device" operates it goes into "lock out" mode so will not work.

Because potty wanted to keep costs down they have used a global "fault light" (ANY fault and the global fault light comes on) but they had to call it something, fault sounds like faulty, so you may think boiler is genuinely faulty, so you may want a new one, so they decided to call it lockout.

Looking at other boilers and on here other boilers (maybe some potty ones) have "error codes" each "error code" is dedicated to one / two things so you have a better chance of knowing what is wrong. Now to show an "error code" requires more electonics for the display and monitoring, so by having one single led, and calling it lockout you save pence / boiler, now multiply that by thousands, then compare it against another boiler makers prices.

That is my theory

Workers are so fed up making crap boilers for crap wages the management lock them out, called lockout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back