What is part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wayward electrician, but my builder wont get rid of him because "I won't be part P certified". I this nonsense. Surely I can just get another compliant electrician to finish the job off.

Sponsored Links
Part P Approved Document

If the work has been started its unlikely that another electrician will sign off that work as his own.

Has first fix begun? Are the cable runs still visible? Why are you concerned about the electricians work?

We have all the cabling in place, from the boxes in the kitchen to dangling wires in the garage (where the fuse box is located). Still, nothings moved for a while and I'd like to know I have the option to get this guy out of here and not be held to randsom with the part p threat.

As Davy says, Part P regs do not allow an electrician to sign off another's work as their own. However, if they can get access to the cabling to test, etc. you may find one willing to do it (assuming it has been done correctly of course!).

Your other alternative is to involve Building Control, as they can inspect and sign off anyone's work as compliant. They will charge for this, but may be worth it if you really want to get rid of the current spark (what's he done/not done?).

If Building Control are already involved because of other work the builder is doing, then they should inspect the electrics as part of the entire job WITHOUT charging extra (although it appears many try to charge extra).

Gavin

Sponsored Links
applesauce said:
I have a wayward electrician, but my builder wont get rid of him because "I won't be part P certified".
Then get rid of your builder first. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back