What is the correct height of vent pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved my central heating header/expansion tank, and am now getting overpumping. I think I have put the open vent pipe too low, at its heighest it is about 300mm above the water level in expansion tank. What should be the correct height?

Sponsored Links
12" is okay from the top of the water level to the highest point of the vent pipe.
The height of the F&E tank must obviously be the highest point in the system.

Presuming if this is happening from cold and effecting both DHW and CH modes, it sounds to me like you have one or more of the of the following problems ;

Pump speed now too high.
A tap/valve somewhere is closed.
Pump is now in the wrong place (before the vent pipe).
Pump is fitted backwards.
Blockage or system seriously sludged up, this can cause the water to escape via the easiest route.

There are a few other issues that could cause this (cylinder coils perforated and cylinder feed tank now above F/E tank etc..). However, the key to your problem is probably due to the "move".

Let us know if any of the above are possible and send us more info if not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back