What is this thing on the landing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there's a pipe emerging from the floor. Near the airing cupboard. short pipe with a compression fitting and a thing like one of them small coffee cups closed top but with an offset small short projection which looks to have a ball bearing in it or something (sort of reminds me of a pressure cooker safely valve) on the top.. is it something associated with my Ex Gas back boiler? or ..what? Asking as i might have to remove all the pipes from the old back boiler when a new combi goes in. Wondering of its to do with the backboiler or the emersion heater.

Sponsored Links
err yes..googleing AAV brings up Association of Avian Veterinarians...which maybe useful as per avian Flu.... but to a plumber what is a AAV?

post a picture if u can.

if u can't then where is the pipe coming from, can u chase it back to the copper cylinder (tank) in the airing cupboard etc.

what colour is this fitting, brass colour ?

good suggestion Chris; AAV (auto air vent) with a red cap ?

Sponsored Links
sideboard-jon said:
googleing AAV brings up Association of Avian Veterinarians
But if you searched on this forum you'd have found Automatic Air Vent (and Air Admittance Valve :oops: ) no problem.

I think the plastic cap is missing.

Not too happy about the angle it seems to be sitting at..... Watch out the compression joint doesn't give way.

thanks for the ID... its been there since the 70's according to the house paperwork... and its not functioning at the moment i think as the boilers out...cheers again.

corgiman said:
chrishutt said:
corgiman said:
chris is right
Ah, corgiman, those three magic words....now I go to bed happy.

are you telling me that you dont hear that at least twenty times a day ????

:)
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy
go to bed happy

out of interest... you say vent?.. so its a safety valve ?... if the old system over heated would it then erupt stem onto the landing?... or is it a valve that lets air in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back