What order to start bathroom suite from scratch ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I'm about to start stripping my bathroom before cracking on with the installation of a new suite.
The problem is that water pipes will need re-routing and the whole room will need re-tiling, so I'm not sure in what order to do everything. Is there a preference as to whether the suite is fitted prior or after the tiling?

Sponsored Links
a big job to take on. the mrs will hate you. :)
we normally strip everything out, sort the plastering out (if required). re plumb all the pipework first and fit isolation valves. fit the bath, do the wall and floor tiling and then fit the toilet and basin on top of the floor tiles. presuming the basin has a pedestal. it makes for a more professional look. ;) good luck.

Perfect, cheers Bondy.
The basin will sit on base unit with a work surface, but I will be fitting floor tiles (or getting someone to do it for me), although I'll need to lift the old floor boards & lay a proper base for the tiles.

Sponsored Links
Small point - a good number of shaped baths these days have special bath panels. If you put the bath in then tile round it, you might not get the panel on without taking a slice off the end which will weaken it a lot if it's a turned-in edge.
That can mean you have to tile the wall which is at the end of the bath, first.

I see what you mean, stops me from butting the bath against a bare wall making it recess into a tiled wall by the thickness of the tiles.
I'll do exactly that, tile the end wall first.

One other question springs to mind. What's the best way to break up an old iron bath tub so that I can remove it from the house (please don't say with a big hammer, I don't fancy tinnitus) ;)

If it's cast iron, then yes, put an old blanket or similar in the bath, and whack it. If it's pressed steel, then you have to remove intact, shouldn't be too heavy though if steel.

I guess I'll find out whether it's steel or iron when I start dismantling things.

Does anyone know where to buy the parts to fit a falce ceiling? i.e. a sunken ceiling.

re the cast bath and a lump hammer...

gloves, eye protection and ear defenders (big ones !!)

(and i'm not one for safety !)

and dont forget to take the pictures off the walls before they fall off. bash it hard near the taps. this is one of the weaker points. dont forget your 3 weetabix either

Christ, I'm looking forward to this even less now :eek:
At least I've got a couple of weeks before I get on with stripping the old stuff out as I've yet to choose the tiles that are to go in yet.

oh, and if the club hammer keeps bouncing off. then get a sledge hammer. put loads of dust sheets between the bath and the walls and floor. you will end up knocking the bedroom walls down otherwise. and, no we aint pullin your pi55er. cast iron is tough as old boots.

why do you have to lift the old floorboards to lay floor tiles??? I'd be inclined to lay 6mm ply over the boards and fix with 15mm screws at regular intervals say approx every 6 inches. you can then poly bond the ply or pour self leveling compound. Dont forget to allow clearance fer the bath panel. approx 15 to 20mm cos youll wanna fit the bath earlier.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!

oooooooooooops 4got 2 mention... if yer gonna lay ceramic floor tiles on timber use the appropriate adhesive. the flexi stuff is good but a swine to clean off so wipe off spills n snots asap before racing on with the rest of the tiles

loafer said:
why do you have to lift the old floorboards to lay floor tiles???

I was told that in order to fit floor tiles I had to replace them with a treated fibreboard to keep the floor level and to stop it soaking up water if any water gets underneath the tiles???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back