What the f*** is this world coming to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a call-out tonight.

A 96 y.o. customer who is profoundly deaf, poorly sighted, incontinent and very disorientated and not at all lucid.

To my mind, she should not be living independently at all, let alone on her own in a damp victorian terrace.

Her power had gone off, and my checks revealed that there was no supply to the tails, although the main cut out was intact.

So I rang the electricity company. I had to guess who it was, and luckily struck right first time. However, the call went something like this:

If you have a power outage or no gas supply, press 1.

If you have no electricity supply, press 1.

You need to call your local distributor's office. The number is on the back of the bill.

Line goes dead.

Because it is almost impossible to communicate with her (even writing things down was useless due to her poor sight and lack of light), I didn't have a bill to get the number off, so ended up ringing the general number and waiting 25 minutes for an answer.

I explained the plight of my customer, and the operator went away several times to check every response I gave her.

Eventually, they agreed to send a guy round to check the supply. He duly came, found out the voltage between L & N was 12V, grunted, and left.

He didn't say what would be happening next, or when the power would be on.

So I made another lengthy call to insist on further action. Sometime later, another van rolled up, and the guys came and looked. Their conclusion was rthat they could not dig at 8.30 at night (there would be complaints), there wasn't a nearby lamp standard to take a temporary supply off, so they would have to leave it till the morning. I asked why they couldn't take a supply from the lamppost over the road, they said quote "I can't do that, cars go by, and they might knock it down...." I pointed out that even BT had managed successfully to run cables across the street at a level high enough not to be struck by passing vehicles, but to no avail. Impressing on them the need to have a supply for a bit of heat and lighting for a frail 96 year old lady overnight was paramount, they shrugged their shoulders and left. He even told me that they couldn't make an early start as their shift didn't start till 8, then they'd have to go to a far-flung corner of Greater Manchester to pick up supplies and another corner of Greater Manchester (far away from the first, of course)to pick up equipment.......

So I rang the emergency number yet again, to ensure she would at least be first on the list.

"We'll try" was the limp response.

So my last call was to Manchester City Council Social Services. I wanted them to know there was a frail lady spending the night without electricity, so they could summon help for her. Remember, she has no cooking facilities, no lighting, no kettle, no care-phone, no stairlift, no heating. Nothing. Technically, the house is unfit for human habitation.

"The best we can do is to try and see if we can get a night warden round there......"

I would not be surprised if she does not make it through the night.

Angry is not the word. I started off feeling very sad for this customer of mine. Then those feelings gave way to anger. Now I am apoplectic with rage that in 2005 we as a society cannot help this lady in her hour of dire need.

I am feeling very, very sad that I am powerless to do anything for her, except take her in myself.

I GIVE UP.

Sponsored Links
That's absolutely disgusting. If all else fails, I'd have expected that they could at least hook up a portable genny for the night. Which organisation did these scallywags work for? Might I suggest that you also contact the local papers. I'm sure the majority of the general public would agree that this just isn't acceptable.

I suspect that guy who couldnt do anything was probably moaning about new orleans last week! and gabbing on how it wont happen here yet they can't restore a main to a terrace house after 7pm?????

Sponsored Links
Apparently, the gennies have to be "manned"....

The organisation was a company that rhymes with "FlowerMen".

The blokes said they couldn't dig the pavement after hours because "someone who has electricity would complain".

securespark said:
Had a call-out tonight.

A 96 y.o. customer who is profoundly deaf, poorly sighted, incontinent and very disorientated and not at all lucid.

To my mind, she should not be living independently at all, let alone on her own in a damp victorian terrace.

So who called you then?

I agree with what you say, but some one must have called you, from what you say she couldn't have, so why couldn't they look after her for the night?

I'd have knocked on a neighbours door and run a few extension leads around, you'd have to be bloody mean to refuse in that situation...

What the f*** is this this world coming to?
It's called red tapes regulations.

A friend of mine has to shut down his old people rest home 2 years ago because of this stupid red tapes created by the EU and this Government.

Up to last year me & my missus was looking after our 99 years old next door neighbour because nobody cares or couldn't help her.

God help us if we ever get in that situation specially when majority of them haven't got a pension.

breezer said:
So who called you then?

She managed to make a call to her handyman who came and found the job was bigger than him, then called me.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:30 am Post Subject:

FWL said:
I'd have knocked on a neighbours door and run a few extension leads around, you'd have to be b****y mean to refuse in that situation...

Unbelievably, both immediate neighbours were on holiday. The only person I found willing to run a lead was across the street!

I went back today and the utilities were there joining up cable. A previous carelessly dug hole had snagged the sheath, allowing moisture into the paper wrapped cable....Bang!

They told me that if it had happened in my area, they would have dug in the night to get it back on.

What I was told about not being able to dig at night is a load of bull, they said. The guys just couldn't be bothered.

Now I know different.....

securespark said:
They told me that if it had happened in my area, they would have dug in the night to get it back on.

i remember once goin to my dads. didnt have transport at the time so had to use metro. anyway, was walkin past and there were 4 NEDL vans, 2 gennys and 3 floodlight stands and about 6 workers diggin away around the cable. my bein as curious as i was, i asked what was happenin, given the fact it was 11.45PM. they said there has been a problem with the power to the a house (notice 'a' house - only 1 had problems)

Yeah, exactly.

It strikes me as one of those many situations where if you know the right things to say and do, mountains will be moved for you, and if you don't, tough siht.

Those who complain long and loud get help.

Trouble is, having made three phone calls and pleaded with them on her behalf, I thought they would actually help.

The thought that she went through the night without any power whatsoever just because two guys (and their employers in general) "couldn't be bothered" makes you very very angry.

securespark said:
Yeah, exactly.

It strikes me as one of those many situations where if you know the right things to say and do, mountains will be moved for you, and if you don't, tough s**t.

Those who complain long and loud get help.

Trouble is, having made three phone calls and pleaded with them on her behalf, I thought they would actually help.

The thought that she went through the night without any power whatsoever just because two guys (and their employers in general) "couldn't be bothered" makes you very very angry.

they shouldnt leave people in that situation. even if they had left a few portable lights and perhaps a small UPS for heating then that would make her life a lot easier

B.O.B DOLE said:
to an end

end of high prices? stupid part P's? stupid amount of tax? hundreds of gatso's/talivans? etc etc?

no. you have to emmigrate for that

Think yourself lucky they spoke English!

Thats 'progress' for you im affriad

Sponsored Links
Back