What time switch.

Sponsored Links
Possibly - but what would you have called them?
isolated contacts
As said must agree with @EFLImpudence volt free is a daft name.

But will not change now, when we coined the name "Bulb" it made sense, they were all a bulbous shape, so we had wick, mantle, or bulb for oil, gas (including pre heated oil) and electric. Latter we had the fluorescent tube, then the folded fluorescent tube, or compact fluorescent tube, it may be a CFL (where did the L come from as lamp is the whole unit not just the bulb) or now an LED but again the LED unit is the bit inside the bulb, so still an LED bulb.

I remember mains electricians (I was to start with trained as an auto electrician) saying bulbs grow in the ground, so ordered a head lamp, and a head lamp came, minus the bulb.

So however daft the names may seem to be, we are stuck with them.
Sponsored Links
I do like how sometimes on here a simple question leads to an intelligent discussion.

I don’t miss BAS or Winston who would have hijacked this thread and posted irrelevant thoughts
Never really thought about it before but all this makes perfect sense, maybe it should be called a switch because that's what it is, maybe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links