What to do with carpet when painting skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I've got some painting to do for a family member and although I personally don't think it needs doing they want me to do the woodwork as well as the walls and ceiling.

Problem is I've not really had to paint skirting before when carpet has been down and I'm not sure what is the best way to go.

I know the best practice would be to pull up the carpet while I paint the skirting and then re-fit later, however I don't really have much experience fitting carpet and I know in the past that people sometimes pull it up and find that it doesn't look as good when re-fitted.

So....the other option is to mask the carpet and paint as low as possible on the skirting. I'm sure that the family member would be ok with that approach (as they will be lead by me really), but I know that this is not the best way to go and I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist at times.

A question for those who pull back the carpet.....What do you use to hold the carpet back (bearing in mind this will be ALL edges of the carpet at the same time) and do you have any tips for re-fitting?

What does everyone think? I'm being paid a token amount per day for the work so I don't want them to feel like I'm ripping them off by taking ages (by pulling back the carpet etc), but at the same time I always like to do a good job.

Sorry for the very long first post!

Sponsored Links
i think it will be a good opportunity to test your cutting in skills.
leave the carpet down. ;)

Quite likely, the carpet will be a woven one with canvas back and held by smoothedge (wooden strip with angled spikes). If so:

When carpet is new, it is tightly fitted onto these spikes. However with age it sets to the shape of the room and loses its elasticity. So you can lift off a length of carpet (say, along one wall only) and the carpet will flop back into place afterwards. If it seems a bit loose you can give it a swipe with the palm of your hand to push it towards the wall a bit (old carpet does not usually need a knee kicker or to be jumped). Lift a bit of edge to see.

You may find it better only to remove one wall's length at a time, just in case it is slightly out of shape.

If it is rubber-backed carpet it need not be fastened at all, though the rubber may have stuck to the floor and it should have tacks or tape at thresholds.

Tape the edges with 2 inch wide masking tape...that way youl avoid getting fibres all over your gloss work...you wont transfers em back into the paint pot..and you wont get paint on the carpet

Sponsored Links
and have a bottle of turpse on standby 'just in case' (to get paint off the carpet). hopefully you wont need it but if you dont have it you probably will!

Oh and dont forget to hoover around the edges first...it helps remove the fluff

Cheers for the replies everyone.

I actually managed to explain to them that you don't need to do the woodwork everytime you do the walls. I just cleared everything away hoovered (or henried) thoroughly and cleaned the skirting up with some sugar soap.

It looks as good as new!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back