What work is outside the scope of Part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I am part time now what with the kids (and it isn't financially viable for me to become self-certifying (or -able!), I am considering doing just odd electrical jobs that do not require notification.

However, the IEE are unsure what is outside PP, the NIC also (in fact a girl on the NIC helpline told me that phone sockets are OK unless they are in a kitchen!!).

I have now e-mail Johnny Prescotts Office, and it will be interesting to hear their response. If they don't know, who does?

BTW, phone sockets are outside the scope of PP as they are not in the regs.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I have now e-mail Johnny Prescotts Office, and it will be interesting to hear their response.

"PP? IEE? PPIEE? PPIEES? You have pies?! Did you say summit abaht pies? Meat pies? Ah luv meat pies, 'appen. So, what pies yer got, Simon? Eeeh, that's funny that, Simple Simon, met a pieman. So where's the pies? If you aven't got pies, there's gonna be trouble."

Can you find a kindly certified person ho could certify the work for you? (preferably someone who knows/trusts your work?)

summergirl said:
Can you find a kindly certified person ho could certify the work for you? (preferably someone who knows/trusts your work?)
There's plenty of certified people on this forum :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Certifiable.Unless they are already committed under the mental health act.I hate to be pedantic,But.
If you do work & then get it certified, your customer would be better off getting the work done by a registered[certified] sparky, as the cost of certifying your work could be more than you charged in the first place.A very good 1 man sparks co in my area has had to give up.He couldn`t afford the registration or the time away from working.The same applies to gas fitting &and ,as time progresses;toBEING ABLE TO WIPE ONES OWN ARSE. got carried away ,.but am getting fed up with nanny state H&S stuff

Or, "a rse". Anyway you are not allowed to wipe your own a rse, you have to use a registed R. Swiper. They need to be booked well in advance, so you will be up to your neck in s hit most of the time.

A highly valued position in the court of Henry VIII was "Groom of the Stool". This was the job of wiping the Kings bottom with a damp cloth, and the holder was no less than a knight of the realm. No, not Sir Thomas Cra pper.

Reason it was so sought after is that you had the King's ear and got to speak to him more often than most other positions. :LOL:

securespark said:
..........outside the scope of PP as is not in the regs.
What work is outside the scope of Part P?
Lumberjacking for a start. ;)

You a little quiet ... not sleepless in Stockport are we ?

MMJ stuck on the roof of his shed as well !!

P

pipme said:
MMJ stuck on the roof of his shed as well !!

P

Don't start calling me Topol ok! :D

I recieved a telephone call two days ago to say my shed was ready for collection... ;)

OK, so I feel a little guilty...

In one of the other threads (about part p) a certain concensus was that people should voice their opinion that it is not welcomed, or not adhere to it. One person responded with that the law should not be broken etc. (which I wholeheartedly agree with - apart from sheds!) but just because there is a law doesn't mean that it is right.

In a perfect world, the existing laws would be sufficient to protect people from wrong doing etc. But we do not live in a perfect world, and laws like this will stop the type of conscientious unregistered electrician from trading because he abides by the law and unreputable traders will continue unphased :p by the mind boggling array of red tape that is being introduced because they will just ignore it!

Take the humble motorist, your average good citizen driving around in his taxed, tested, insured and roadworthy motor. He will be heavily penalised for making a simple mistake. Yet a spotty teenager with no license driving a stolen and dangerous vehicle will be given a telling off and sent on his way. I've watched these traffic police programmes and have been amazed at the pitiful punishments (if any) given to someone that has driven like a maniac trying to escape from the police.

To summize, law abiding citizens are easy to punish, criminals, well just don't give a stuff. :cry:

Did I get my point across?

Middle of the road is no good !!

Those without a bean and those with enough beans to hid the fact that they have beans .... Are in the driving seat.
The former can do the most stupid and unlawful stuff .. he has only his liberty to give ... which probably means naff all to him .. but costs us more than we will pay for an elderly person in a retirement home. :oops:
The latter can afford to do whatever because, in lots of cases, his pursuence in law is either too expensive or incorrectly processed, such that his high paid lawyers, get him 'off' on a technicality ...

The motorist ... I believe that electronic speed limitation by tracking and on board electronics .. no matter how futuristic, is the way to go. Then we will be relieved of the stresses caused by unlawful actions taking place around us (and by us) on a daily basis ... We can then concentrate on steering the thing and pitying the poor pedestrian .. who only has to think !!
Work legislation ? Who knows ? Representation by benign associations like RAC AA in motoring world = waste of time Govn gives their pathetic bleating an airing then forgets about them ....... Fuel protesters, country side alliance, Unions ..... You have to stand together and fight, there is the rub, you are all actually competing with each other ... So as usual folks we will get what we deserve, or somewhat less as we always do.
Hence the fact we are a miserable bunch of bar tenders !!
P

Just talked to Ken Bromley at ODPM. Didn't mention PIES once, funnily enough.....

Without the need for notification, you can:

Carry out all replacement work anywhere, including cable for one circuit damaged by fire, impact or rodent.

Add lighting points, sockets or fused spurs to an existing circuit not in special locations.

Carry out wiring such as IT, telecoms, signalling, TV/Satellite.

Install or upgrade bonding.

So there.

So the NIC filled me full of opo when they told me the only thing I could do was to replace stuff and do phone sockets. Will challenge them about this at the earliest opportunity, and post back here................

I wonder why they are being economical with the truth???????????????

No mention of PIES? I assumed JP was answering your e-mail personally!

You can only change ONE cable without notification. I.e. repair work. However to rewire you do. Why not just say you've had a LOT of mice :LOL:

OK, so IT and telecoms you can understand as it is all "Mostly Harmless" to quote Douglas Adams. However, you can still get a bit of a nip off a phone line when it rings.

And if I were to be installing wall conduits for network cable, what if my wall chaser went through a power cable? Does "idiot damage" allow for cable replacement? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back