Whats best powder, tablets or liquid for washing machines?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen comments that liquid detergents can possibly corrode aluminium parts on washing machines and I'm sure I read that tablets are not good either.. is that true and if so why? I usually use either Ariel powder or the tablets.

Sponsored Links
my personal opinion is to keep it simple. don't fall for all the marketing nonsense, i.e. dosing balls, bags etc.

what we,ve always done is to throw a dose of powder in to the back of the drum before loading the clothes.

this avoids any clogging of the drawer.

with regards to corrosion. all i can say is that whenever i open up a machine and find severe corrosion of the aluminium parts, (e.g. hoover logics) the common denominator is prolonged use of liquid.

we once provided washing machines for a detergent test by a very well known detergent manufacturer. off the record an employee voiced his suspicions about liquid. of course he also said that the majority of the content was water, and in his opinion powder offered best value for money.

Be careful about switching detergent types. I came out in a horrific rash when I did this. Took months to go away even with the doctors help. I use Persil non bio original and once a month also chuck in some washing soda to a towel wash which gets done at 90 degrees.

I got this advice on this forum to try and stop the waste pipe clogging. Towels come out luvly.

My detergent drawer clogs so I will try the chuck in the drum method.

The softener bit seems to also clog. Stopped my wife buying concentrated softener because people forget to dilute it properly.

Any other ideas out there?

Chris547 is right - I have sensitive skin also and when I use anything other than Persil non-bio I look like Mr Blobby. :oops:

I also put powder straight into drum as it has stopped pulling it from drawer years ago :)

Sponsored Links
We always use powder.

It is worth bearing in mind that powder comes in cardboard cartons that are recyclable.

Liquid containers are plastic, and far more difficult to recycle.

We should if possible consider enviromental issues when possible.

on that environmental note... ever tried the 'Ecover' range?

They make it out of all natural ingredients and it's supposed to be highly biodegradeable.

Recycled packaging as well!

-plus, they also do all purpose cleaners, floor cleaners etc.

My Bosch powder/cond'r dispenser pulls out for cleaning. Is this not normal for all washers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back