What's gone wrong with my new window???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I recently (ie. a few days ago) had some new PVCu windows installed by a company who appeared to have all the correct credentials and testiominals.

I got up this morning and to my horror one of the windows had developed a series of huge cracks on the inside glass pane running roughly from the bottom to the top. The window affected is the smallest one they fitted, a single unit, side opening, about 60cm by 100cm in size. Apparently its got a 70mm front to back section and is pilkington K Glass.

I've hardly touched the windows since they were fitted let alone do anything that could have caused this damage. The company concerned have said they will replace it - so that's good - but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could cause a brand new PVCu window to crack so badly and so quickly after installation? I suppose the niggling thought at the back of my head is: will it happen again or to the other new windows?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can think as I have broken a couple is the clip-on glazing bar is slightly too long which hold the window in.

The other one is when the glass is slightly twisted when forced in the frame but doesn't cracks straight away.

RustyDave said:
Good afternoon,

I recently (ie. a few days ago) had some new PVCu windows installed.........

There's the problem, wood is sooooooo much better. You can repair them, they are strong, they last for decades, the list goes on..........

could be something a simple as a foreign object in the window with the glass pressed against it which will cause it to crack when it gets a pressure load from the wind

Sponsored Links
if it was fitted with expanding foam and the glass was fitted before it sets it might of put pressure on the glass causing the crack if its not happenned to the others i cant see a problem unless it was something else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back