WHATS THE BEST GLOSS PAINT!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me now that White gloss paint seems to go yellow really quickly now in around a year!!!!
What do you guys use??
Anyone recommend a good gloss or another paint product which is better.

THANKS
Simon

Sponsored Links
One year is quick for gloss to go yellow!! Are you or is anyone in your house a smoker? I'd expect around 3 years before it started showing signs of ageing.

There are gloss paints now that claim never to yellow, with names like Everwhite or Staywhite (or something along those lines). I've not tried them though, so can't comment on their effectiveness. Generally speaking, I stick to decent branded or 'professional' paints from a proper decorators merchants. They give better coverage and usually apply more easily.

Finally, as with all jobs, preparation is the key!! Sand down previously painted woodwork PROPERLY and wipe down with a cloth moistened with white spirit and allow to dry before painting. Make sure your gloss is properly mixed - not just a quick shake.

And let us know how it is in a couple of years!

not meaning to hijack the thread, but I am in the process of sanding down window sills and skirting board – should I apply undercoat or primer before applying new gloss? i have sanded some parts vigorously which means I have got back to the wood in occassional spots.

yes it would be best to. prime any areas of bare wood and ensure that the other areas with paint on are sanded slightly to give a good key.

Then undercoat the whole lot. Give it a rub down VERY gently after the u/coat with either 'between' coats sandpaper or something like grade 180/220 and then finish with a top coat of gloss. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
We all have our favourites and a lot of our preferences are determined by our own application techniques.

As for yellowing...the only way to avoid it is by using water based stuff..if your rooms are dark and warm the paint will yellow very quickly.

I cant say I have a favourite gloss as some bracnds suit certain situations better than others..but heres my thoughts

Crown...bit thin bit greyish...but nice to apply

Dulux..not brilliant at covering but a nice white, can be sticky though..and the conventional gloss is poor on new work

Johnstones...not bad but has a strong smell and not very good for new work

Leyland Sh-it!...hate the stuff

Permaglaze...nice white but poor covering power on things with a sharp edge and sticky to apply

I think the old Brolac was my all round favourite, its now supposed to be the same stuff in a MacPherson tin...personally I think thats sales schmeer.

"There are gloss paints now that claim never to yellow, with names like Everwhite or Staywhite "

Used Everwhite on my bath panel for some weird reason it ended up yellow (waste of time)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back